Ireland in 7 days - Is this too much?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Ireland for 7 full days (excluding travel days). We are flying into Dublin and out of Shannon. We keep finding more and more places that we want to visit, and I am pretty sure that our tentative itinerary is way too full. Please take a look and tell us what you think:

Day 1 - Arrive in Dublin at 7:30a, drink lots of coffee/tea and spend the day
sightseeing in Dublin
Day 2 - More Dublin
Day 3 - Pick up rental car early at DUB and head to Derry/Londonderry
Overnight in Derry
Day 4 - Derry in the a.m./ Head to Donegal
Overnight in Donegal or Galway depending on how far we can go
Day 5 - Galway/ Head to Dingle peninsula
Overnight in Dingle
Day 6 - Dingle/overnight in Dingle
Day 7 - Dingle/Head to hotel near Shannon late in the day

My sister-in-law did a similar trip last year, and she said it was a lot of driving but they had a great time. Any input would be welcome. Thanks!!
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 03:41 AM

Usually, when someone asks 'is this too much for Ireland', I say yes. However, this is almost not too bad. You aren't doing a huge amount of one night stands, though you are trying to do half the country in a week. You are wisely spending the first day not driving. It is a lot of driving between spots, but again, not terribly bad. I think you will have a good time.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Green Dragon, thanks for your reply. I am kind of excited to hear that!
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 01:00 PM

Just make sure to drive around the Dingle Peninsula, the views are amazing! And drive through Conor Pass on a sunny day if you can Hint: The way to the pass from Dingle is a wider street than the other side. If you just want to see the top, go from Dingle and turn around and go back after getting to the top. The way down the other side is narrower and windier
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Excellent. Thanks again!
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM

Personally, I think it's too much. All you're doing is driving from one city or town to the next (and long drives at that), and then leaving again the next day. There's no time to savor the countryside, or explore the ruins (and pubs). Do you have specific things in mind you want to see?
A more relaxed journey would be a couple days in Dublin, then on to Cashel, overnighting in Kinsale or Cork; then a couple nights in Kenmare, and a couple more in Dingle before heading home. Less time in the car, more time actually sightseeing. But that's just my opinion, and I hope you have a good time regardlesss.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM

It is a lot of driving, yes. They are taking the time to see Dingle, and if they choose one or the other (Derry or Donegal) they could spend some time in that spot, as well. It is strange to see one one night and move an hour away for the next night, no?
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Green Dragon, are you saying that Donegal and Derry are only about an hour apart? Which would you recommend for an overnight? If we made it all the way to Donegal on Day 3, we could spend and additional night there or in Galway which would give us another 2 night stay in one location.
KateIP, thanks for your reply (and your good wishes), but I think we are going to take a more Northern route on this trip.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 07:03 AM

It is one hour 8 minutes, according to Viamichelin.com. I would personally choose Donegal myself, and stay at least two nights. The Slieve League cliffs are supposed to be breattaking, and Glenveigh park is beautiful.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 04:02 PM

As GreenDragon said, the Conor pass is truly amazing. I will add that if you are driving the pass from town, then if you go a little past the crest you will find a small parking area near a small waterfall. If you don't mind a short but steep rock climb up by the waterfall you will find yourself in a natural amphitheater formed by the surrounding hills and a picturesque pond at the base.

It's actually exactly three years to the day that I was there and would love to go back. Enjoy!

Chris
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 04:54 PM

One thing you need to accept is that there are practically no highways - all local roads. And there are sheep - lots of sheep - wandering everywhere but town centers. Plan on about 35 mph average.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 08:55 PM

I have traveled to Ireland many times and want to just play it by ear when you get there. I would take an extra day in Dublin. There is so much to see an do there. The main east-west highway was extended a few years ago so you cross the country in a little over 2 hrs. Be careful driving over there, the secondary road can be dangerous.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to all!
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 01:10 PM

Hello, My husband and I are planning a 6 night trip to Ireland. Any suggestions this will be our first trip
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 01:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Angelee: You would do MUCH better to start a thread of your own instead of tacking on to a 2.5 year old thread. And when you do re-post try to be a teensy bit more specific
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 01:36 PM

Oh -I see you did start anew thread . . .
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 04:40 PM

I don't mind alot of driving personally, but the drive from Galway down to Dingle will be long, long and not very scenic. I agree with KateP's revision of your trip. If it were me, I'd scrap Galway entirely and spend the extra time in the south. Galway was a busy industrial and college town, not much of historical value and certainly not a pretty city. Of course, I am mid 50's so I'm sure young adults would have enjoyed it.
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 04:56 PM

<B>stotz:</B> "<i>I agree with KateP's revision of your trip</i>"

The thread is nearly 3 years old. That trip is long over and KateP posted in Apr '09. But Angelee did start a new thread if you want to try to help her . . .
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 06:00 PM

Greendragon,
Thanks for the heads up on the VIA Michelen site. I've been on it all night. It's great!
Tdiddy
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 11:34 AM

Tdiddy, glad it helps. Just remember that Viamichelin does NOT take into account bad roads, tractors, sheep, unplanned photo stops, pee breaks, or meals... I usually double the driving times they list, and it comes out about right.