Ireland hotel/B+B help

Sep 28th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Aaron

Ireland hotel/B+B help

Hello everyone,
I did a search before posting about Ireland and hotels.
There are two of us going to Ireland for a week in early Dec.
We are flying Aer Lingus from LAX-DUB and would like to spend about three nights in Dublin and then move down to the Cork/Waterford area.
We would prefer hotels in both places... but would like to stay in a castle for maybe one night to say we did.
I went to Ireland in college with friends, but stayed in hostels... something my mother isn't to keen on doing.
Any good recommendations you could give on places you stayed and enjoyed would be great.
We are not planning on having a car and would like to stick to $100 a night.
Thanks in advance...
Aaron

Sep 28th, 2002, 02:23 PM
steve

COnsider also staying at B&B's. All I stayed in were very nice and about $25 per person

Sep 28th, 2002, 05:49 PM
aaron

can you recommend any B&B's for me... ones with our own bathroom?
thanks

Sep 29th, 2002, 11:05 AM
tim

ttt

Sep 29th, 2002, 12:02 PM
cd

Aaron
Try www.townandcountry.ie for B&B's

Sep 29th, 2002, 12:04 PM
cd

PS On the B&B listings, "ensuite" means you have your own bathroom.

Sep 29th, 2002, 01:04 PM
tjc

In Dublin, I stayed at a B&B on Lower Gardiner St.,The Glen..Will not repeat. The room was clean, breakfast pleasant - but the door did not shut properly and I did not feel comfortable walking about with my 13 yr old.

Also stayed at Jury's Christchurch Inn in the Temple Bar area. About $80.00 per nite(?), was neat , clean , a little noisy one evening, but was steps away from a HopOn/HopOff bus stop- which is a reasonably priced ticket and transportation to see the city and sights. One lesson learned is when booking a B&B look for the "Shamrock" symbol as a sign of Irish Tourist Board approval. The Glen did not have the Shamrock. The "Ardree" B&B in Shannon did and it was a highlight of our trip -the hosts and the smells coming from the kitchen were the best! Will recommend using www.townandcountry.ie as a source.

Oct 4th, 2002, 06:13 PM
xxx

ttt

Oct 7th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Siobhan

Don't stay on Gardiner Street it'sn ot a great area and not safe to walk at night. Jurys is fine and someone reminded me of another place on this board recently, it was Brooks hotel, great location and safe as well as surronded by nice shops and restaurants. It's on Drury street 2 streets from Grafton street (the main shopping street).

As well I found another place walking around Dublin at the weekend it is called Handels Hotel. It's besides Christ Church and at the quiet end of Temple Bar. I belive Handel lived or was born at the site. a little tidbit of Dublin I never knew until I moved here. Handel's messiah was written by him in Dublin to raise money for the poor. It's performed in Christchurch each Christmas and Easter by a choir. I miss it every year but plan on seeing it this christmas!

Enjoy