Adare Manor in Ireland

Search

Adare Manor in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adare Manor in Ireland

Has anyone ever stayed at the Adare Manor in County Limerick, Ireland? We have booked one night there in February and I was just wondering what your thoughts and opinions on it are. Are there any must see's and do's there?
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 05:58 AM
cd

rockslide
Since you stated you are new to this site, let me share some info you may or may not know. See the little box up top that says "search this forum"? type in Adare Manor and go to the next box and choose Ireland then hit 'search'. This will bring up all past posts with the words Adare Manor in them. You will get lots of information. Have fun! We loved Ireland.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 06:51 AM

It's meant to be fabulous go for it!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

SiobhanP, will do!!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 12:16 PM
CU

If you want a personal opinion on Adare Manor could I suggest that you drop a line to President Bill Clinton. He stayed there also for a night.
Have a look at www.adaremanor.ie
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 10:32 AM

Hi Rockslide, I live about 5 minutes away from Adare and it a wonderful manor, the drive up to it and when you round the corner and see it it breathtaking and i am irish and have been living near it all my life, i can also recommend the Spa. i have just booked a special 3 hour treatment for myself (coconut milk bath, back massage and facial) also the village of adare is so pretty, thached cottages and wonderful michelin star restaurants. you WILL love it and you never know i might meet you at the SPA.
Enjoy it anyway. C
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Clarice, Thanks for the info. In addition to our one night at Adare Manor, are there any bed and breakfasts in the region that you might recommend? What about attractions that are not to miss? We will be flying in and out of Shannon and plan to spend the majority of our ten days in the west, NW and SW. We might spend a night on the Aran Islands and a day in Dublin as well if its feasible.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 11:59 AM

We stayed in Adare Manor last Sept. It is very nice, rooms are quite large and lovely with huge-all marble bathrooms. All in all posh. The staff is also very nice, the only rude person we encountered was a fellow American. Beautiful view out our window of swans and roses so I'm sure that you will enjoy it. We walked into the village to a pub, and had a great time talking to other visitors from all over. Oh, I wish I was there.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 03:56 PM

OK Rockslide, this is from experience, we have a holiday home in Caherdaniel which is on the ring of Kerry, really not to be missed,
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 03:13 AM

Since you are staying in Adare Manor, you might like to try the Park in Kenmare, now it is a 5 star Hotel and Spa, but then so is Adare. Its just a wonderful Hotel. what you could do is book into a B&B on the Golf course road and visit the Park for afternoon tea, very posh. have a wonderful holiday C
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 06:28 AM

" ... one night in February at Adare Manor ..." Weatherwise, that may be risky: you will probably find roads (like the N-21) covered with frost until about 9:30 AM.

I've never stayed in Adare although I day-tripped there from NewcastleWest on BusEireann. There were lots of Tour buses there visiting Ireland's 'Tidy village' and taking pix of the two thatched-roof cottages. Adare has two Parkland Golf courses: One of the locals' claims to fame is that Tiger Woods played there in 2003.

Many B&B's don't open until April, so you may find yourself somewhat limited as far as accomodations go: We were in Co. Clare in February, 2004 - we stayed at Rose Cottage B&B in Ennis. If you're planning to visit west Clare (Doolin, the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher and Inishmore). Sorry, I'm not familiar with the region west of Abbeyfeals (Co. Kerry) or south of Dromcolloher (County Cork). I take the Tralee Bus from Limerick City but I usually get off on the N-21 at Rathkeale, NewcastleWest or Devon Cross.

Rathkeale is worth a stop: it was the center of the Palatine migration from Germany several centuries ago.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:00 PM

Rockslide, congratulations on your upcoming wedding. A few honeymoon suggestions:

You will love Adare Manor, so comfortable and elegant, especially cozy with its fireplaces in winter! Hopefully you haven't booked it for your first night in Ireland, as you'll likely be exhausted from the wedding and more able to fully appreciate it later. The town of Adare is well-known for its thatched cottages and cute shops/restaurants.

Around Shannon I can recommend some of the B&amp;B's on <b>Low Road, </b> Bunratty. The road is easy to find: about 8 miles out of Shannon you will come upon Bunratty; Low Road is the narrow street between Bunratty Castle and Durty Nelly's pub - it widens when you get past the castle. In this neighborhood, two excellent B&amp;B's are <b>Bunratty Villa, </b>hosted by Jack &amp; Jackie Burns, and <b>Dunaree,</b> Penny O'Connor's place. At least one of them is likely to be open in February, but if not they can point you to another reliable home. These are good for first &amp; last nights in Ireland. Across the street from Bunratty Castle is a shopping center with a Blarney Woolen Mills and other good last-minute shops.

Heading north to Galway, try <b>Sunrise Lodge </b>in Salthill right outside downtown Galway, overlooking Galway Bay . Peadar Cunningham, a professional hotelier, now owns this lovely guest house. Higher-end options here are <b>Ardilaun House Hotel</b> or the modern <b>Radisson,</b> both really good. Eat at McDonagh's for fish &amp; chips, or the more formal Cook's or Kirwan's Lane restaurants. Quays Bar or Roisin Dubh for music.

Going south to Kerry, if you're stopping in Dingle, <b>Heaton's</b> Guest House would be a great honeymoon choice. Plush place of hotel quality, but family run and friendly. Check out Dingle Crystal for a keepsake that's different and memorable.

In winter Killarney isn't bad. I just toured the new <b>Brehon Hotel </b>in Killarney, unbelievably beautiful, modern, with a spa, Angsana, where all the massage therapists are Thai, trained in Thailand - spectacular. For a B&amp;B in Killarney, <b>Ross Castle Lodge </b>is nice. As for Killarney restaurants, I love the <b>Bric&iacute;n</b>, upstairs above a craft shop - fantastic hearty Irish food in a family setting; or try the Cooperage for a more contemporary restaurant. Also Gaby's for seafood.

Kenmare, an elegant smaller town on the way to the Ring of Kerry, has the Park Hotel as mentioned above, which is top notch and expensive. Alternatives would be <b>Virginia's Guesthouse </b> or <b>O'Donnabhain's,</b> B&amp;Bs central to town and open most of the year.

In Cork city, <b>Hayfield Manor </b> is a beautiful place, 5 star, or opt for B&amp;B at Johanna Lucey's <b>Garnish House </b> on the Western Road, which has Ireland's best breakfast IMHO. Another lovely choice in Cork is <b>Lancaster Lodge, </b> also on the Western Road (Washington Street), a modern guest house that's more like a hotel; excellent breakfast &amp; walking distance into the city center. Across the street from the Lancaster is Europe's best vegetarian restaurant, Cafe Paradiso, truly a gourmet experience. Also nice is Greene's restaurant on MacCurtain St. Cork has great shopping, terrific pubs and the Crawford Gallery and Opera House for culture - you can skip Dublin with its traffic and high prices.

Further down the coast in Kinsale you will find many good restaurants, several of which will be open at least on weekends in winter, as will some interesting shops and art galleries. The Trident Hotel or Acton's will be open, perhaps the Old Bank House B&amp;B too....better to check beforehand.

Ireland is magic - have a wonderful honeymoon trip!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 04:37 AM

I spent 6 days of my honeymoon in Ireland in 2003. I was married in Adare. We had our reception dinner at Bunratty Castle which was a marvelous choice. Good food and OUTSTANDING entertainment.

We spent 3 nights at the Fitzgerald's Woodlands. The room was spacious and the management there were incredibly friendly. I highly recommend the Woodlands.

We had two nights at Adare Manor. It is also outstanding, but in a different way. It is like comparing apples and oranges. It is a little more stuffy, but that is not necessarily bad. We spent an evening in the library when no one was there. We started a fire in the fireplace...I think its a gas fireplace. We also had dinner by candlelight in their restaurant. Of course, its all quite pricy, but if you like that kind of atmosphere, its nice.

Check out Holy Trinity Abbey. That is where we were married. Its beautiful. Also the park across the street is cute.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:34 AM
lawchick

I found the service in Adare Manor to be bad.