Ireland - Fill in the blanks

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland - Fill in the blanks

Hello,

We are leaving in 5 days, after a 2day stop in London, flying into Dublin
After reading many messages, though it best not to commit to a plan but please feel free to fill in the blanks. We have a car and sunglasses with no plan....

Sat/Sun – Dublin

Mon – heading toward Cong (maybe)

Tue/Wed – Doolin

Thursday

Friday – Kilea Castle

Sat –

Sun - home

Also looking for the the oldest pub...

thanks
Di

Old May 9th, 2008, 10:53 AM

Hi Di:

Leaving from Dublin? and did you mean Kilkea castle?

There are probably half a dozen pubs that claim to be the oldest in Ireland. I believe that Durty Nellies makes that claim in Bunratty and I'm wearing a shirt today that claims that the Brazen Head in Dublin is the oldest. Some claims are based on the notion that a pub has sat on a certain site (perhaps not the present building) for many years. The Brazen Head claims 1198. It's a nice pub on weeknights and some good sessions are to be had there then. It gets a bad rap for being touristy and it can be, but I happened upon a great session on a Monday night once.

Bill
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Yes Kikea Castle.. I don't see any postings for it, so that could be a good thing.

I googled oldes pub, Brazen and Sean's seem to be duking it out.
Brazen will be our 1st stop.

Yes we will be arriving and departing from Dublin, just wondering if Galway or Cong would be a good stop.

The others 2 in my group don't want to waste time getting to Inishmore, should I stick to my grounds and go or wait until next vist.

thanks
Di
Old May 9th, 2008, 03:21 PM

Galway and Cong are both good stops, but very different from one another. It really comes down to whether you like an attractive village (with a bit too much made of its being the location for "The Quiet Man&quot or a small city with a lively atmosphere.

Going to Inishmore is not a waste of time; it's a use of time, and I would count it a good use.

Sean's claim to venerability is based on an optimistic interpretation of history. But it's a good pub.
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your tips....

Perhaps I will trot over to Inishmore myself.....

We will hit both pubs... eheee
I'm sure they will have good food and drink regardless. I will post my findings

Di
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:12 AM

There is very little to do in Doolin itself, though the surrounding area is beautiful. I agree that Inishmore is very nice and would recommend an overnight. You can fly or take the boat. The flight is not much more expensive and uses time much more wisely (10 minute flight) Also, if anyone has issues with rough seas, the flight is a much better option. The flights leave from Inverin in Co Galway. http://www.aerarannislands.ie/

I've never been to Sean's but I understand that it's claim to age, as Padraig suggests, is dubious at best. If you like a good Irish trad music session, check out the Cobblestone in the Smithfield area of Dublin. Doesn't look like much from the outside, but the music isn't designed for tourism, rather, folks playing trad in a little local pub. http://www.cobblestonedublin.com/

I stayed once in Kilkea Castle in the off season (got a great price) and it was very nice. I believe that the nightthat we were there, we were the only guests. Seemed odd to have breakfast in that large dining room alone.

Bill
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Well just finished packing....

I have jotted down all your suggestions for my list of things to do.

Well check back to let you know how we made out by "winging it"

Di
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:50 PM

The Brazen Head! That's the one. It has good food, too.
You seriously can't go wrong in the Temple Bar area, though. Gougherty's has good music in the evening, upstairs.
Galway is pretty, by the water, but not a lot to do in the day. Nightlife is young and fun, and the little downtown is charming, with shops and pubs, restaurant.
Ireland is a blast. Have fun!