Ireland early June itinerary

Old May 18th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Ireland early June itinerary

My parents and I are staying in Connemara in a self catering for a week and will have a car. We leave in 2 weeks and have some ideas of what to see. Can you share the top 10 things in the area that we could do in a day trip without too much stress? Mom can't take too many hours in a car.
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:58 AM

There is plenty to experience in and around Connemara. Much of it is drinking in the scenery and enjoying a gentle pace of life.

Whereabouts will you be based?
How is Mom about walking?
How do you feel about travelling by boat?
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

We are staying in Recess, near Outergard? Boats are fine, but as you guessed walking can be tottery for her if there too much of it. Flat surfaces and minimal steps. I heard the boat trip on the near by lake (up to Cong) is supposed to be nice?
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Okay, I have to make assumptions about how much driving and how much walking you want to undertake. There is a challenge in Connemara for those who have some difficulty walking. It's bumpy country!

First, on the question you raised; yes, the trip on Lough Corrib is very pleasant. It is, in effect, two trips -- one boat takes you from Oughterard to Inchagoill, and the other boat takes you on to Cong. The boats schedules are co-ordinated so as to allow time for you to explore Inchagoill, but your Mom might not find the uneven paths easy. If the weather suits, you can sit on the pier and enjoy the scene. The jetty at Cong is close to Ashford Castle, but the hotel does not welcome non-resident visitors. There is a separate bar in the grounds that you can visit. You can walk into the village; it's an easy stroll for most people, but I don't know about your Mom.

I had also wondered about seagoing boats -- specifically the Aran ferry. Perhaps not a good idea, as Inishmore might be difficult terrain.

There are good short driving circuits from Recess.
- Recess - Clifden - Letterfrack - Kylemore - Inagh Valley - Recess
- Recess - Inagh Valley - Leenane - Maam - Maam Cross - Recess
- Recess - Maam Cross - Glinsk - Kilkieran - Carna - Recess
- Recess - Tombeola - Roundstone - Ballyconneely -Clifden - Recess

Each is relatively short, less than two hours of driving at modest speeds (add on your own stopping time). They are all scenic, and there are places that will tempt you to stop for a few minutes or for longer.

Old May 18th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!