Ireland in May/June advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be on a fly/drive type itinerary through Sceptre Tours (5star Ireland). It is unquestionable;y a short trip but all the time we had. We cannot make changes in the hotels, length of stay, etc but welcome your advice reightseeing, when to see what, and dining (We like fine food but the pub option seems fun). We arrive at Dublin airport at 9:30 AM , pick up an automatic car at Dan Dooley, and head to Ritz Carlton Powerscourt in Co. Wicklow for an overnight. The next day we drive to Ashford Castle in Cong, Co. Mayo for two nights, then to Dromoland Castle in Newmarket-on-Fergus in Co. Clare for 2 nights. Back to the Ritz for an overnight and fly out of Dublin airport.
We will not have time for everything and don't want to over program ourselves so we can skip Dublin for this trip. I understand that Ritz to Ashford is 3 hours plus. Any ideas where to stop along the way and when to best explore the Burren, Ring of Kerry, Cliffs of Moher, etc.
Thank you.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 01:26 PM

First of all, I would save Ring of Kerry for another trip. The closest you'll be is Dromoland and it is a longish drive to ROK from there. Remember the roads of Ireland are generally narrow and winding. Think in terms of average 35 miles per hour.

While at Powerscourt there is lots to explore in the gardens. Take a drive to the waterfall, a lovely spot for a picnic.

On the way to Cong, you might want to stop at Clonmacnoise,an ancient monastic site on the banks of the River Shannon.

On your day at Cong take a drive around Connemara. Beautiful scenerery. Visit Kylemore Abbey or stop and take a picture from the road across the little lake. Leenane is at the top of Ireland's only fiord. There are interesting craft shops there and some pleasant cafes for lunch or tea.

Or if the weather agrees, take the ferry from Rosseveal to the Inishmore, the largest of the Aran Islands. There is parking at the ferry. Or you can take a ten minute flight from near Galway to Inishmore. Inishmore could take up a day or more. Hire one of the horse drawn carts to take you around, or jon one of the minivan tours. The drivers have tales to tell. Or you can rent a bike at the shop at the end of the pier. The tours will include Dun Aengus, a prehistoric fort on the edge of a cliff.

Over near Moycullen there is a shop which sells objects made of Connemara marble. Aughnanure Castle is near there in Oughterard.

On your drive to Dromoland would be a good day to explore the Burren. In Kilfenora there is a small visitor center which explains the geology of the Burren and gives you an idea of what to loook for. Ailwee Caves are in the Burren. The 4,500 year old Poulnabrone dolmen is in the Burren.

From Dromoland you might want to explore Bunratty Folk Village, the Cragganouwen Project, or drive out to the Loophead drive along the Shannon and take in the cliffs at the end. You can also catch a boat trip around the mouth of the Shannon and see wildlife along the shore.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 02:39 PM

Not much I can add to the above recommendations -- all great. I don't know if it interests you, but in Cong you can visit the sites where the John Wayne film "The Quiet Man" was filmed, but this is interesting only if you're a big fan of the film. I ditto the recommendation for visiting Bunratty folk village for a look at old-time Ireland.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 07:44 PM

Connemara Celtic Crystal in Moycullen has tours and sells lovely things.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I will do a little more research and surely will be back here with more questions!
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 08:41 AM

I can't get out of Celtic Crystal without buying something!