Ireland - Cashel, Cahir or both?

Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Ireland - Cashel, Cahir or both?

Please help me decide how to plan the last few days of our 2-weeks trip in Ireland. For now, the plan is:
Fly into Shannon, drive to Clifden, spend 3 nights there, see Connemara
Day 4 – See Cliffs of Moher, night in Ballyvaughan
Days 5, 6, 7 in Dingle
Days 8, 9, 10 in Kenmare
Days 11, 12 in Skibbereen
Day 13 – we will probably stop for night in Cashel. I don’t think we can see both Cashel and Cahir in one day, so if you had to pick one, which one would it be?
Day 14 – night in Bunratty and then fly back home

In the end, I think we need to pick 2 out of 3: Cashel, Cahir and Bunratty for the last 2 days. I would like to hear your opinions on this…I already got a lot of great advice from this forum, thank you.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:13 PM

We loved touring the Rock of Cashel and being there at night and seeing it lighted (preferably with a hotel room with a view of the Rock) is wonderful.
I haven't been to the other locations so I can't compare.

If you do go to Cashel be sure and have a drink at the famous Guinness Bar at the Cashel Palace Hotel. If the bartender Denis is there you are in for a treat to hear his stories.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:33 PM

Depending on your route and the time of year, the drive from Skib to Cashel should easily allow you time to stop by Cahir for an hour or two to visit the castle and look around, unless you opt to follow the N71 the whole way. Cahir is only a couple of miles down the N8 from Cashel. You could also 'pick it up' in the AM, before heading to Bunratty and still arrive in time to shop at the Woolen Mills, visit the Folk Park and have a pint at Mac's (or Durty Nellies).

Bob
Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:53 PM

On Day 13 Cahir is on the way to your overnight stay in Cashel. Stop to see the castle and Swiss Cottage. If time permits, see the Rock of Cashel. If you do not have time on Day 13, see the Rock in the morning and then proceed to Bunratty.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:19 AM

I would suggest Cahir (and Swiss Cottage if time permits) and the Rock of Cashel.

Bunratty was not a favorite of ours and I feel could easily be bypassed.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:36 AM

I'm with Itallian Chauffer on this: no problem doing both, and it would be a lost opportunity if you cut one out.

I'd also vote for Bunratty (except for the banquet).