Ireland Itinerary Help

Search

Ireland Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland Itinerary Help

We're planning our first trip to Ireland for this fall -- mid-to-late September for about 9 days. What are the not-to-miss places for a first trip? And what's the best way to travel between destinations (car? train?)? If you were planning 9 days, how would you spend them?
Many thanks for the help.
Best,
Kelly
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:28 PM

More information will help, such as your ages? interests? how many of you?

Personally, I like the SW area, and could easily spend all 9 days there. However, I would suggest 3 days in the SW, perhaps 3 days in the north, then 3 days in or around Dublin...

As for transportation, car is definitely preferred, as many areas are inaccessible by train or bus. You will get to many more places, meet more people, in a car.

Be warned that automatic transmission cars are twice as expensive as manual, so drive manual if you can!

Let us know your interests, and we can help you more specifically.

You may also want to check out www.irelandyes.com for great advice, or my own travel site at www.greendragonartist.com/BIhome.htm

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:42 PM

9 nights...car...1 night doolin (burren/cliffs of moher/music), 2 dingle(slea head/pubs), 2 kenmare(killarney park/muckross/ross castle/beara pen. or southern part of ROK), 2 kinsale(charles fort/midleton distillery tour/cobh/could also visit blarney castle), 1 cashel(cahir castle/swiss cottage/rock of cashel), 1 bunratty(bunratty castle/folkpark/banquet or nice dinner/pub)
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

GreenDragon/Chip,

Many thanks -- this is a big help. It's going to be me and my fiancee, both in our late 20s, and my future father-in-law on the trip.
Our hope is to get a good mix of culture and beautiful Irish countryside. But we're open to any suggestions.
Thanks!
Kelly
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 07:57 AM

Culture and countryside -- I'd definitely stay in the southwest, and rent a car. I think Chip has a good, quick itinerary. However, if you feel you want to slow down a little, how about this one?

Fly into Shannon, spend two nights in Doolin. Spend first day recovering, exploring the area, and learning to drive on the left.

Second day (Doolin) explore the Burren and Cliffs of Moher

Third day (Kenmare) drive to Kenmare, visit Dingle on the way.

Fourth day (Kenmare) drive Ring of Kerry or Ring of Beara.

Fifth day (Kenmare) drive Ring of Beara or explore Killarney National Park

Sixth day (Kilkenny) visit Rock of Cashel/Cahir Castle/Swiss Cottage on way to Kilkenny

Seventh day (Kilkenny) explore Kilkenny and surroundings

Eight day (Kilkenny) Explore Kells Priory/Jerpoint Abbey/ maybe daytrip to Waterford

Ninth day (Shannon) visit Bunratty castle or folk park, or Craggaunowen (iron age park).

Leave in the morning out of Shannon.

It's up to you how fast or slow you see Ireland. I could easily spend 9 days just in County Kerry and not be bored. However, with limited time, I can understand the need to see everything you want to.

Don't fall into the trap of a Green Blur tour, a different B&B every night, all day traveling, seeing nothing. The best part of Ireland is the people, and staying in one place a night or two is the best way to discover their friendship.

Since you are young, the faster pace will be fine, but your FIL might want to slow down some

Fifth day
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

GreenDragon,

Many thanks again. I noticed that both suggested itineraries don't include Dublin. Do you think it's ok to skip Dublin on a first trip to Ireland?

Best,
Kelly

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:18 AM

Dublin is great, IMHO, but if you have limited time, not a requirement. It is a city, and if you are looking for the soul of Ireland, I think it is better found in the small villages and countryside. Especially in its people -- who are more difficult to talk to in the city.

Also, Dublin is a bit of a hassle when in a car. Anyone who goes to Ireland usually wants to come back, so save Dublin for the next trip. Unless you are a HUGE fan of the Easter Rising history, Dublin isn't, IMHO, a necessity. Nice, but other places are nicer