ireland belfast to shannon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my husband and I will be in Belfast for a meeting next May. We have from noon on Sunday until the following Friday to explore Ireland. We fly out of Shannon airport on Saturday.

The only part of Ireland we have already seen is the coastal drive from Belfast to Dublin. We would prefer to see the west and probably north coasts on this trip.

We would like any suggestions about driving times and stops to make. If possible, we'd like to stay 2 nights in the same place at least once so we can do some exploring on foot.

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:17 PM

You will first want to see if it's possible to rent a car in Belfast and drop off in Shannon, plus have all the insurance requirements worked out if you can, indeed, drive in both countries like that. Honestly, I have no idea whether you can or not but it is, in my mind, the first thing you will want to figure out. It may dictate your entire trip if you have rent separate cars in NI and the Republic.

If you can do the one car route, I would spend two days exploring NI especially up by the Giant's Causeway and around Londonderry. Then move into Donegal and make your way down from there, stopping in places that interest you in Donegal, Sligo, Mayo, Galway and, finally, Clare. You can easily pick a few areas from these wonderful counties as bases for day trips and even some hiking.

Sharing your interests with the board will help us point you in the right direction for places to see, things to do and where to stay.

If it were my trip I'd spend ...

Two days at one B&B somewhere between Londonderry and the Giant's Causeway.

Two days in Mayo (Westport? Achill Island?) or Galway (Clifden? Cong?) at the same B&B seeing sights nearby.

Last night near Shannon (Bunratty) airport, exploring The Burren, the Cliffs of Moher and Bunratty Castle & Folk Park.

Safe travels,

Wendy
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 02:39 PM

Wendy's suggestions are great, but I think you have 6 nights so maybe take a night between NI and and Westport. There is so much to do in Donegal, you could easily spend the whole time there. I might spend 1 night in NI (not enough but it will have to work in your plan), 2 nights in Donegal maybe two in Westport and then the last near the airport.

If you decided to go straight west you could do 2 Donegal, 2 Westport, 2 in Clare. With where you are starting, and the desire to see the NW, I would rule the SW on this trip.

Hope this helps!!

Bill
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Hi - I would recommend the following places to visit.1. Glenveagh National Park in Donegal. (check out duchas website - this is the Irish National Trust and their places are usually worth visiting. Coming down through Sligo visit Glencar Waterfall and Yeats Country - drive around Lough Gill and go to Parkes Castle.
Into Mayo visit museum of country life in Castlebar and do certainly stay a couple of nights in Westport. From here to north visit Achill Island and Nephin Mountains/Letterkeen Forest. To south go to Leenane via Louisburgh stopping off at Croagh Patrick on way.
From Leenane visit Connemara and go to Kylemore Abbey, Connemara National Park and Clifden/Roundstone - visit the Bodhran maker!
In clare viist The Burren - Kinvara, Ballyvaughan - AIlwee Caves Golf at Lahinch. Bunratty Castle and Folk Park is also worth a visit before you fly out from Shannon. Have an enjoyable trip.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

All your suggestions are very helpful. We rented a car before to drive from Belfast to Dublin, so I imagine we can do the same to Shannon, but I will check for sure.

We prefer good scenery and walks to big cities. We like pubs and small hotels or guest houses.

From all the suggestions, I'm assuming the drive times are reasonable to spend 2 nights here or there. The 6th night needs to be near or in Shannon to catch an 11a plane.

Any suggestions where to stay near Londonderry? Is Westport, Sligo or Cliffdon better to spend 2 nights? Again suggestions of accomodations. We are prefer ensuite accomodations.

Thanks

I assume from every
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 03:45 PM
CU

For your accommodation could I suggest
www.bedandbreakfast.net
For northern Ireland
www.discovernorthernireland.com
For southern Ireland
www.ireland.travel.ie
www.travelireland.org

To find distance and travel times go to www.aaireland.ie and click on 'route planning''

Suggestion - just sit in and drive to whereever your journey takes you and there you will find a sight to behold. there is nothing as exciting as the unknown because each part of Ireland has its own little treasures.You can see from these boards that there are so many places to visit. Your only objective is to be at Shannon in time for checkin. Enjoy.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:02 PM

Greetings! Just returned from 10 days in Donegal. Stayed at my favorite Ireland B & B (have been there on 3 occasions). It's called Inishduff House. www.inishduffhouse.com It's located 1/2 way between Kilcar & Killybegs & not all that far from Donegal town. It's a wonderful house! Owner Ethna Diver, is one fantastic cook! Everyone I met there wished they could stay longer! It's a perfect place to base oneself for daily Donegal excursions. The drive from Belfast is a delight! As for the N. Ireland/Ireland car rental bug-a-boo? I never had anyone mention it to me. Good luck!