Reload this Page >

Ireland advice: Shannon to Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 01:56 PM
PW

I'm planning a quick 4-1/2 day trip to Ireland in June and I'd appreciate any advice.<BR><BR>We plan on landing in Shannon then renting a car and driving to Dublin, where we'll depart from. We want to spend one full day in Dublin but we're open on everything else. Anyone have any advice on things to see near Shannon or on the way to Dublin? I'd like to see some beautiful scenery and make a few pub stops. <BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Linda

PW, If you are landing at Shannon I would suggest a trip to the Cliffs of Mohr which are spectacular on a clear day. We were there in June and walked the cliff, about a two mile walk,then a night in Doolin. In Doolin a must is an evening of music at Gus O'Connor's.The Doolin Cafe had terrific food, a reservation was needed because it is tiny. Ennis would be a nice town to visit. Quaint shops and pubs.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Kathy

Drive the southwest route and then up to Dublin and you'll see plenty. But you're going to have to do some planning so you can pick and choose what really interests you. If you want to stay in hotels, you need to book now. If you're going to wing it at B&B's, don't worry about it too much. I would plan the first night, though, because you'll be tired.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 07:23 PM
PW

Thanks Linda and Kathy for your replies!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:17 PM

topping

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:00 AM
Charlie

PW,<BR> I've been to Ireland several times. Last summer we landed at Shannon and took a cab to Galway.Driving over there can be a bit tricky. The cab cost about $100 but well worth it.Galway is a great place and they have some good tours to the Cliffs and to Connemarra.(Check out O'Neachtin Tours on the internet. Another good site is Galway.net) If you choose not to rent a car, the bus service from Galway to Dublin is great. Buseireann is the national bus company. The trip from Galway to Dublin takes about 3 hours and only costs about $10. You get a good look of the small towns and country side.A relly nice B&B in Galway is the Ardawn on College Road. Nice people and great food. Dublin is my favorite place! Small enough to walk around and great atmosphere. If you're looking for a great tour, try the Wild Wicklow Tour. The full day tour to Glendlough is relly nice.(I've taken it twice.Once just my wife and I, and once when my sons came over.Wild Wicklow Tours also has a great website. You can book your tours before you go!) In Dublin, we stayed at Longfields on Fitzwilliam St. It's really a very nice hotel and close enough to everything. You're only minutes away from the Temple Bar district and very close to St. Stephen's Green.Over by Christ Church there are some small pubs with great food. There's a great fish and chips place down the side street from Christ Church.The ride to the airport is about 25 minutes, and costs about $15, again well worth it. I wish you the best of luck. I love Ireland and I'm sure you will to. My son and his college friends just came back from spring break in Ireland. they had a great time and had a few too many pints!!!<BR>Charlie