Dublin to Dingle - 7 day trip

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Kristen

Dublin to Dingle - 7 day trip

Hello -

I will be arriving in Dublin on Mar 16 and will be heading back to the states on Mar 23. I need some help planning an itinerary - I've been nominated as the "planner" for our 4-person group.

We'd like to start in Dublin and be there for St. Patty's day (even though I know it will be crazy). I think we'll stay in Dublin for 3 nights before adventuring out with our rental car.

Based on the posts that I've read here, it seems that the Dingle Peninsula should not be missed. I know our "must do's" include either a drive through Dingle or the Ring of Kerry and others would really like to see the Cliffs of Moher as well.

Can you suggest if Dublin and Dingle are reasonable for a week's trip and what other stops I might consider? I have not yet decided if we will be flying round trip to/from Dublin or flying in to Dublin and out of Shannon (if that will make our explorations easier).

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Rachel

Yes, it is doable. Dublin isn't really that nuts for St. Patrick's Day. It's busy, but that's mainly because of foreignors who come to Dublin for the holiday. I'd like to make one gentle reminder: It's St. Paddy, not Patty. Men named Patrick (Padraig) in Ireland are often called Paddy, never Patty.

You'd probably want to fly out of Shannon, since you'll only have 3-4 days of travel outside Dublin. That way, you can catch the Cliffs of Moher easily.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Greg

Rachel gave you some good advice. You really need to fly out of Shannon.
I don't know if Dublin is worth 3 days. My advice is to stay there 2 days and explore the beautiful West Coast of Ireland. I don't think you will be sorry.

My advice is to stay near Shannon and take daytrips. See the Cliffs of Mohr & Doolin, Dingle, and the Rock of Cashel (which would be on the way from Dublin)

If Dingle is a must, remember the drive is about 5-6 hours from Dublin. There is enough in and around Dingle to keep you busy for 2-3 days. Then head North and get a room near Shannon. At Bunraty there is some duty free shops (Blarney Woolen Mills) and Durty Nelly's.

Pat Preston give good (free) advice & has a good book called Daytrips Ireland. I greatly recommend both. Here is her site:
http://www.ireland-withpatpreston.com/

Greg

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 08:56 AM
Anthony

Greg,

What is the drive time from Shannon to the Dingle Peninsula?

Thanks.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:27 PM
bill

Anthony:

Figure about four hours. You might be able to do it in a bit less, but the slightest bit of traffic and getting lost and four hours will be about right. Plus, you'll probably want to stop along the way. Adare is a cute little village that most find it hard not to stop.

Bill

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:37 PM
Mary

Whatever you do, where ever you go, it will be grand. Someone above mentioned "the Rock of Cashel." Don't MISS IT. I have been over there many times, and just last year saw it for the first time. It's in County Tipperary. It blew me away - a must see. You will have a wonderful time. Mary O.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:58 AM
Greg

To Anthony; We drove from Adare to Dingle in 2.5 hours, but Adare is south of Shannon and closer. If you drive from Shannon you have to go through Limmerick a relatively big city. Bill is about right in saying it would take 4 hours.

We stayed in Adare (voted the prettiest village in Ireland) and took day trips from there such as the Cliffs of Mohr and Dingle. Adare is small with 2-3 good pubs and full of friendly natives.
Greg

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 08:26 AM
David D.

Kristen,

It sounds like you've the makings of a fine trip, but do try to avoid seeing too many sites in too many different locations. Given your relatively short stay, you'd be well served flying home from Shannon, rather than trucking all the way back to Dublin.

Three nights in Dublin should be sufficient. Try to take the time to see Ireland's National Museum, Trinity College (Book of Kells), Temple Bar, all located in the heart of the city. On the city outskirts, you'd probably enjoy the Guinness Brewery and, better yet, Kilmainham Gaol (steeped in Irish history; the guided tour is terrific).

It is a fairly long drive from Dublin to Dingle, and I'd advise that you stay in Cashel, taking time to see the marvelous Rock of Cashel and trying to see a live performance at the nearby cultural center. (I don't know the details of the latter, but I've heard good reviews, and it's located in the shadow of the Rock. Have lunch at the lovely Cashel Hotel, and leave time for a good full day and night in Cashel.

Try to leave at least two days and nights for Dingle. Greenmount House is an ideal place to stay, as it's located a short walk from town and offers award-winning breakfasts. Slea Head, located just outside Dingle, is one of the scenic highlights of Ireland. A day trip out to the Great Blasket Island should also be considered.

If you do consider touring the Ring of Kerry, be sure you go on a clear day; otherwise; it'll be a day of disappointments. Better than the ring itself is taking a boat ride from Waterville to the thought-provoking Skellig Islands. I've vacationed in Ireland for each of the past ten years and the Skelligs remain one of my most memorable side-trips. Get a good guidebook and look into this remarkable monastic site.

Heading back from Dingle, take the coastal route through Kerry, cross the Shannon on the Tarbert ferry, and spend a night in West Clare. Should you go to the Cliffs of Moher, try to get there very early or late in the day, as the crowds can mar the experience. Try to catch a sunset while at the Cliffs. Also, consider eating at the wonderful Mr. Eamons (sp?), located in Lahinch.

Best of luck.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Helen

Hi David...we are going again to Ireland next May (6th time in 10 years, We are addicted!)...have always wanted to do Michael Skellig...did you stay in Waterville and book the trip from there, or do you know of a better plan?...thanks for any info...really enjoy your posts...Helen

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 03:37 PM
R.N.

Helen, Since you are addicted to Ireland you should look at the following sites www.irelandyes.com and www.irelandexpert.com

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:53 PM
David D.

Dear Helen,

Thanks for the kind words.

I know of a terrific place to stay should you wish to visit Skellig Michael. It's called Iskeroon, and its located in Caherdaniel (former home of the 19th century civil rights leader Daniel O' Connell). You can learn more about it at www.iskeroon.com. It's a very special place, wonderfully situated at the bottom of the most scenic and torturous hill in all of Ireland. But oh so worth it. You'll want at least two nights stay here.

Best of luck.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Linda

Defintely fly into Dublin and out of Shannon. Three nights will be plenty in Dublin. We used the bus system while in Dublin. Picked up the rentalnthe morning we headed out west. Dingle is very nice. The Slea Head drive is beautiful. We stayed in Dingle at the Duinin House. The Dingle Pub was very nice for music. The Smokehouse food was good. If you want to see Killarney it would be a day trip out of Dingle. The Ciffs of Mohr are spectacular and you could do 2 days in Dingle and then a night in Doolin(the cliffs) and then head out of Shannon. In Doolin a must is the music sessions at Gus O'Connor's.