Search

iPod in Rome

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod in Rome

Hi Everyone,
Leaving for Rome in five days and have a few questions about my iPod.

I have downloaded Rick Steves for some of our tours and the maps and feel good about all that. My question is will I be able to get my emails in Rome like I can get them here in the states? I am think of leaving my cell phone home and just staying in touch through email. Any ideas.

Thanks for all the help I have received in the past few weeks.
ruthca
Old May 4th, 2009, 05:51 PM
J62

You can use an internet cafe in Rome to access your email. Assuming that you use something like hotmail, gmail, aol, or yahoo mail that you access through the internet, they yes you should have no problems in Rome.

There are numerous internet cafes in Rome, although some are going away due to more use of home internet and other wireless devices.

But what is your ipod question for us?
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

I use my iPod Touch when not at work or home to check and respond to my emails and would like to do the same in Rome.
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:04 PM
J62

How do you connect your iPod touch to the internet when at home? If you use a wireless service at home you will need to check with them about roaming charges. Many people have used devices like blackberries when traveling and been shocked at the huge cost of data/roaming charges they rack up abroad.

unless you set something up before hand
a) don't expect to connect simply when you arrive in Rome
b) definitely don't expect any service you use in Rome to be free.
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:32 PM

I just got back from a week in Paris where I took my IPod Touch, and I was so glad to have it. The apartment we stayed in had Wifi so I just used it there; did not try internet cafe, etc.
I was not aware of any roaming fees; this is not a phone. When I talked to people at Apple Store before I left, there was no mention of roaming charges. People take laptops with them all the time and no one's ever complained of high roaming fees. Maybe I have a surprise awaiting me, but if not, I have to say it worked like a charm!
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:39 PM

Im innocent to this technology,
I have an IPOD. How do I connect to IPOD Touch?

Thanks
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:49 PM

I just bought an iPod Touch for my trip. You have to buy it, you can't upgrade from an iPod. Unlike an iPhone, you don't pay a monthly fee or any roaming fees but you can access the internet, e-mail, and maps if you're in a location that has WiFi - like my home or some of the hotels that I'll be staying in.
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:15 PM

is it an add-on to an IPOD or a whole seperate thing?
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:32 PM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
An ipod touch is a stand alone device which offers most of the features of an iphone but without the monthly service fee or the phone. The "touch" connects to the internet via wifi. http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:45 PM

May I ask what you paid?
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:26 PM

I got mine "free" last summer when I bought a MacBook. You can look on an Apple store site to see the prices.
They are a great little device. It was good to be able to check my email when in Paris; I could send messages, too, although it's a tiny keypad. Check it out on Apple.
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:58 PM

thanks I will check out prices online.
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:00 PM

I bought mine at Target for about $290 which I think is the standard price. I think that Apple sets the price. Instead of charging less for it,Target threw in a $30 gift certificate.

I've also downloaded some audioguides for Rome with maps,and written notes for my trip on it. Eventually, I'll even download some music.

The keyboard is small but the whole thing is small so it's a lot easier for me to carry around during flights and bus and train trips than taking a laptop.

However, if you won't be traveling soon, you might want to wait to buy it. Eventually, prices will come down.
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I brought an iPod Touch with me to Rome over New Year's. Unlike Paris, wifi spots are not everywhere--we barely got a signal on the terrace of our apartment, not enough ever to send or read email. Had to go out to a cafe for that, not a huge problem though. I was glad to have my phone too.
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:12 AM

A very cool application for those of you who travel with your iPod Touch (or iPhone in my case, but with phone/data roaming turned off) is something called Truphone: http://www.truphone.com/ipod/

It's basically voip, and doesn't quite substitute for a phone, but it is pretty cool. Just download it from iTunes (download free, and you have to open an account with Truphone to charge for the calls).

Also, if you're staying someplace (say, an apartment) with an ethernet connection but are using a device that can't connect directly, you can use something called an AirPort (from Apple) that generates a wireless signal from ethernet.

These devices are great for in-flight entertainment: not just music, but movies and podcasts (like NPR's "Wait, Wait..."). Make sure you've got good, comfortable headphones.