Ionian Islands--favorite towns?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 7-day sailing trip in June 2006, beginning in Gouvia, Corfu. We would like to know your favorite cities/towns (1) on Corfu Island, (2) on the mainland heading south to Levkas, (3)on Paxos and (4) on Levkas Island. Also,we only have 7 days. Is Levkas Island worth visiting or should we just concentrate on Corfu Island, the mainland, and Paxos?

Thank you!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 09:26 AM

I only know Paxos, and it is lovely. The only town is Gaiios, quite busy. Much nicer is Lakka at the north tip of the island, which is quite a sailing mecca. But best of all is the little village of Loggos mid way down the east coast of the island. You can moor there, right up to the jetty, if you are lucky, and roam the village. Nassos and Vassili's tavernas are both very good.

Have a great trip - I envy you already!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. That is very helpful!
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 02:44 AM

I already replied to your post on the VT forum, but in case you don't go back there:-

Presumably you'll be spending some time on Corfu either before or after your sailing trip and if so, I recommend spending a full day in Corfu Town itself. It's not a very big town, but there's lots to see and plenty of opportunities for just relaxing in pavement bars and cafes for people-watching.

The area north of Corfu Town and Gouvia around Kassiopi/Kalami/Ag Stephanos is beautiful - the Rothschild Estate is situated here, just north of Kerasia.

On the mainland, Syvota and Parga are probably the best choices. Both are pretty little villages and Parga is the more popular (i.e. touristy) of the two.

Paxos only has 3 main villages, all on the east coast - Gaios is the biggest and Lakka the most touristy but Loggos, the smallest of the 3, is my personal favourite. It has a real traditional Greek fishing village feel to it and has mooring for about 5 or 6 yachts on the jetty and the same again in the harbour, which should be plenty of room in June. Make sure to also sail around the west coast of Paxos for the fabulous views of the cliffs and caves and visit Anti-Paxos for the clear blue waters and white sandy beaches.

Sorry, I haven't been to Levkas, so I can't help you there.

I was (pleasantly!) surprised to see from your VT profile that you're from the US, because it always seems to me that most American tourists think that Greece begins and ends with Athens and the Cyclades. (I dare say I'll get flamed for this on here!) It's nice to see someone venturing off the well-beaten trail and I'm sure you'll love the Ionians.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Dear Xenos -- Thank you! I did see your reply on VT and made notes.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:57 AM

Parga, on the mainland, on the way from Corfu to Lefkas is well worth a visit. It is known as being very picturesque.

I have been to Lefkas and I really enjoyed it, Vassiliki is the best place to visit on the island (it's not really an island as it's joined to the mainland by a road bridge). But I would recommend that you visit Ithaca or Meganissi islands. They are much smaller and prettier. I personally went to Frikes on Ithaca. Also, not far away is Fiskardo on Kefalonia, which is visually stunning but it's busier as there are lots of day trips from other islands visiting.

I also find it refreshing that you are not visiting Santorini! One of the least Greek of the Greek Islands!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:30 AM

I'd like to second the recommendations made by Julia for the 2 tavernas in Loggos. We spent 2 weeks in Paxos in September 2003 and had many great meals in those particular restaurants.

Enjoy your trip - it sounds fantastic! Make sure you hire a small boat, buy some spinach, feta or sausage pies from the tiny bakery in Loggos and take your picnic down the coast to find your own private little cove to enjoy the sunshine and delicious food! Bliss....