Search

1 day in corfu

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 day in corfu

What to do? where are the great hidden beaches of my youth?
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 02:54 AM

The best beaches that I saw were on the western coast. I absolutely loved Agios Georgios (spelling?) and although I didn't go pictures of Glifada look just as lovely. Are you on a cruise ship stop or on your own? Will you have a car?
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 02:58 AM

I just saw your other post. Agios Georgios is definitely in a very developed resort area, but I thought it was still very beautiful. Glifada may be more remote, the northwest coast may have some seclusion that you are looking for. Overall I found Corfu to be very developed. I was there last summer. Driving from the east coast of the island through the interior to get to the west was fun, lots of olive groves and real Greek life.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 09:11 AM

The hidden beaches are still there. The ones you are looking for could be on the north east coast, where you feel as though you could reach out from the cliffs and touch Albania. Problem is, to get to them you have to drive through some of the mass-market developments. So, with only 1 day to do it in you run the risk of spoiling the memories you already have and over-writing them with memories of tacky resorts.

It's your decision, but there's enough to see and do to fill a day in Corfu Town and maybe preserve your memories for a future trip when you have more time to explore the hidden side of Corfu and perhaps even visit the more unspoilt Diapontian islands to the north and Paxos/Anti Paxos to the south.

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:09 PM

Glyfada is a beautiful beach!!! We were there in June and it is beautiful. The sand is red, but feels like St. Johns powder white sand. Absolutely great. If you want a great little town try Kassiopi. Really fun. Bring your swimsuit there and go to Batria beach. Have fun I am jealous.