Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Internet banking while away, I always have problems, anyone else?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 11:22 AM
Lidija

While trying to check my account balance on line both in London and in Manchester I was almost never able to. I always ended up getting an error message that I'm taking to mean that the computers security setting are not strong enough to allow me to access that part of my banks website.<BR><BR>I tried several different places in London and finally was able to access it in the Contiki lounge of the Royal National Hotel of all places. Never in the internet cafes. In Manchester I was only able to access it in the Museum of Science. <BR><BR>Does anyone else every have this problem? I'm worried because I am planning a trip where I will be gone for a few months and will really need to know how much is coming and going in my bank account.<BR><BR>thanks Lidija

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 11:41 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Strangely, I had no problem.<BR><BR>I spent 6 months on the road in 7 or 8 countries, and was able to manage my accounts in Belgium and Sweden via Internet.<BR><BR>I used internet cafes and the french post office.<BR><BR>I always made sure to delete the "resident" software afterwards.<BR><BR>Peter<BR><BR><BR>

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:10 PM
Jim

Lidija,<BR>I think you're right about the security settings not being strong enough. I think it depends on the browser version that you are using. This happened to me one time when my then browser didn't have strong enough security settings.<BR>It may well be that the banks mentioned in Belgium and Sweden have not instituted higher security measures.<BR>I would contact your bank about their security situation and possible remedies, if any.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:21 PM
Jim

Lidija,<BR>One further thought, higher security can be downloaded for the browser that you are using. I would hate to think that you should pay an internet cafe the time to download it.<BR>Maybe they should be made aware of it, if you plan on returning there in the future.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:29 PM
mpprh

Hi lidya and jim<BR><BR>the security was -<BR><BR>Sweden ..... a small "box" about the size of a mobile phone that had an algorithm producing security numbers.<BR><BR>Belgium..... I downloaded the operating software from a cd (taking seconds) then deleted it.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:54 PM
Lidija

One of the places I tried with no luck was the Waterstones bookstore on Piccadilly, when I mentioned the problem to the staff member he looked at me like he had no idea what I was talking about.<BR><BR>I'm now worried about this happening in countries where I'll have a language barrier.<BR><BR>Maybe I'll ask my bank if they have some sort of toll free number to do telephone banking from Europe.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:08 PM
Phil

Lidija,<BR>I think you should be listening instead of talking.<BR>You received excellent advice.<BR>Do you really have a problem?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:56 PM
sandra

we use citibank online banking and have handled our banking from india to france and all points in between. in london usd easyeverything . no problem accessing there