Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

TSA has put my husband on "the list" of those for extra security check - anyone else experience this?

Search

TSA has put my husband on "the list" of those for extra security check - anyone else experience this?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Past few times my husband has flown AA he has been unable to use self-check in kiosk. Today he found a more talkative person when he was required to go to in-person check in. He was told that he was on the AA "list" of those marked for extra security. When he asked how to get off the list, he was told to contact TSA.

We are both curious what might have triggered this extra attention. He is a white, middle-aged male flying at least 100 domestic flights/year. He always pays with a credit card and all trips are eventually round trip - although they may involve multiple cities in-between. Our only guess is that he was in Moscow this fall for business, but it was US government related - and definitely not in any defense industry or security sensitive field.

Any thoughts? We assume contacting TSA would be futile - what could one say that would convince them he is not a threat.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 03:44 PM

It can be as simple as having his name to be similar or identical with some known terrorists.

Contact the TSA to have that resolved. Your congressman/woman may be able to help too.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 07:23 AM

I had the privilege of being placed on the list, and I know of no reason except possibly my voting for Ross Perot once.

Flyertalk has a forum on security where a lot of information, I would suggest not always accurate, is posted. Apparently there are a number of lists, one where flight is barred, one where heightened security is required, etc. I have even read that people with criminal records, or who are wanted, are placed on the list.

If you are too lazy to even go to the TSA website and undertake the steps necessary to correct the situation, get used to the extra security procedures. I received very prompt service from the TSA ombudsman, but my favorite airline took far too long to remedy the situation once I sent them my TSA clearance letter. In fact, I have only their eword that the situation is remedied, as I haven't flown since getting their email.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

To clevelandbrown - I have just spent some time on TSA website. In your attempts to correct your situation, did you merely email TSA? I was unable to find any form or link to a form to submit. Thanks.

My husband does have a very common first and last name, so that may possibly account for problem. Or perhaps he is really a spy for another country and I never knew.

He will have to decide himself if the aggravation at the airport is worthy of his trying to resolve this.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:42 AM

TSA watchlist clearance procedure:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?th...000519800fb8af
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 11:37 AM

The posted link is correct. I'm glad to see they were alert enough to put the form on the web; when I danced this dance, we had to call a toll-free number to be told it would take them two weeks to get the form to me (and they were right), but once I sent it in with the necessary notarized documents, I had the clearance letter in less than a month - excellent response time for any federal agency in my experience.

It was really irritating, as my wife and I are both low level frequent flyers, among the last in line for free upgrades; I would try to check in online and be rejected; then I would check her in online and she was upgraded, more than a few times. One flight attendant had a hard time believing my name was Molly.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Clevelandbrown,

up in the air, your wife really is unsinkable.

<groan>
Old May 8th, 2005, 03:33 PM

Gail- I just saw this post, or I would have responded sooner. The TSA ombudsman's office has a clearance procedure, it is now on the web, at the site the other poster set forth.

As far as passengers being made "selectees" it is often because they have a name that is an identical or similar match to one on a "no-fly" or a "selectee" list (a "selectee" is one who is "selected" for additional security screening for one reason or another).

There is a process, the process does work, it doesn't take very long, and if your husband is "cleared" then his name will be put on a clearance list. You must submit ALL the information requested in the PIVF (pax info. verif. form) or it will NOT be processed.

One more thing: the airlines must STILL verify that your husband is on the cleared list, AFTER this process, so you must understand that there may still be some delay while the airlines verify that he is, in fact, cleared.

However, once he is cleared he SHOULD be able to use the self-service kiosk-that is something you need to bring to TSA's attention if he is still unable to do so after he has gone through the clearance procedures.
Old May 8th, 2005, 06:07 PM

There's nothing inherently wrong with having such a list given the current state of the world.

The problem is the stubborn pigheadedness exhibited by TSA when an innocent person is caught in their web. And their lack of planning when they implemented the list. Innocent until proven guilty apparently doesn't apply to TSA, at lease not in their convoluted thinking.

Wasn't it Sen. Ted Kennedy who got caught and it took months of hassle to get off that list!