international sim cards

Search

international sim cards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
international sim cards

I'm travelling through Europe without my children and husband and want to keep in touch easily and cheaply. I'm looking into buying an international sim card.
The one that sounds Ok is from riiing. Has anyone ever used one? Any recommendations or perhaps warnings?
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 12:47 AM

The most economical way to keep in touch is use your (Aussie?) sim card for sms texting, emails for longer messages, and calling cards for phone calls.

If you can find internet cafes with broadband that offer Skype or other VoIP services, you could make free phone calls home, paying only for the internet use. With Skype you can make free calls to other subscribers' computers, or buy SkypeOut credit for calls to landlines. Skype registration is free, so you can sign up at home before your trip.

To be honest, VoIP is fairly new to me, but it does sound ideal for travelers. Has anyone else used it in internet cafes?
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

I don't have a contract only prepaid so I can't use my current sim overseas.
I'm going to do a google on Skype and VoIP because I have no idea what they are. Excuse my ignorance!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 02:16 AM

I've posted lots of stuff about riiing which is now called united mobile...click on my name above and find the excellent postings I have done on them (or search above for riiing)...

It does deliver basically what is says...you get free reception of calls throughout western central and eastern europe pretty much west of Russia. You also get free reception of calls in places such as China, Australia, South Africa.

You can easily buy the sim now at www.united-mobile.com (no more searching on German sites on ebay) and it can be denominated in euro, sterling, or US dollars.

It is the most convenient and relatively inexpensive way for people to be able to keep in touch with you.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Wow xyz123, that'll teach me to do a search before I post a question-I'm new to all this. You certainly have posted a lot of useful info and I will read it all very carefully.
My 14 yr old just told me you have to search first otherwise "they" will get angry with you. Now she tells me!!!