Still confused about US iPhone use in London and Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, we have two iPhones, both unlocked, a 4s and a 3g (the other 4S is under contract, AT&T won’t unlock it). And, as I just posted, AT&T. We’re also taking an iPad mini, but it needs wifi, so I don’t need to worry about cellular data on that.

I tried to piece together info, but got seriously confused. I’m hoping this thread will help others, too.

What are our options and what do I need to do for each? This is what I know:

1) I know we can pay AT&T for an international plan. I believe that would let us keep our phone numbers, which would be convenient in case of problems at home (my MIL’s health is stable, but not great). I also believe that this is kinda expensive and you still have to be careful to not overrun.

2) I know we can buy a phone there, but how does that work? And I’m assuming that a smartphone would be a bit costly, but apps would be nice. And I know I’d need a different SIM card for each country.

3) I know we can take our phones and buy SIM cards for each country (that’s why I got these unlocked), but how does that work?

3a) Following advice on these fora, I did try for Lebara SIM cards. I got two from France, nothing (yet) from UK. But how long are they good for? I got them about 2 weeks ago, but we’re not going to be in Paris until May 5, London from April 23-May 5. Will they still be good? And, assuming that they fit, what the heck do I do with them?
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 02:57 PM

How much do you anticipate wanting your phone? If you want to be able to use it just as much as in the US, a local SIM will probably be the best financially. I don't have expertise on that with smartphones.

If you just want to be easily reachable in case of an emergency, have the ability to make calls if absolutely needed, and <i>occasionally</i> use the apps, the international plan isn't terribly expensive. I have Verizon, but on a ten-day trip to Paris a couple of years ago, it probably added $20 or so to my bill for the month. Our hotel had wifi, and I downloaded the Paris2Go app, which doesn't require a data plan once you download it (all the maps, etc are stored on your device). That worked just fine for me. I saved all my emails, etc for when I was in the room and had wifi.
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 03:30 PM

A local/prepaid SIM card gives you a local phone number for that country. In an emergency, someone could phone you at that international number.

You can still use a SIM card from one country in another, but then you are probably into heavy roaming and the prepaid SIM minutes will not last long. I know when I've bought a SIM for Italy, I was able to use it later on the same trip in Slovenia and Croatia for very brief calls but the minutes didn't last long. Some SIM cards cost more but are optimized for use in multi-countries.

The SIM card minutes will probably expire if not used in a few months.

If the iphone has already been unlocked, you insert the SIM into the phone, turn it on, and then activate the SIM. You'd probably want to do that in country and not before you leave. There should be instructions for activating - in English if you lucky (for the UK one for sure of course). If you have a specific SIM card from a specific company, there are probably activation instructions on your website.

When I travel I usually buy a SIM card somewhere locally and have the merchant activate it before I leave the store (or kiosk or convenience store, depending on the country) - then I don't have to worry about the language etc. I walk out of the place knowing the phone number and knowing it works.

Are you sure your phone is really "unlocked?" Just because AT&T gave you an unlock code doesn't mean it's "unlocked." To find out, you would insert your non-AT&T SIM. If it asks you for a code to unlock the SIM - then you need to use your unlock code to unlock it one time, then it should stay unlocked.

There are lots of ways to access your phone and voicemail overseas without actually using it as a SIM. You could get a Skype US phone number ($18 for three months) and install Skype on your phone. Then someone from the US can call you while the phone is online with Wifi and you can talk all day for free (or for the cost to them of a long distance call - perhaps free if they have unlimited cell minutes or whatever). Calling a US Skype phone number costs the caller the same whether you happen to be in the US or in Europe. You can also make unlimited Skype calls US to US for something like $2.99/month (or buy Skype credit $10 at a time).

You can give family/friends your US Skype number - or forward your AT&T cell number to the Skype number, and then all of them would go to Skype voicemail when you are not available. If you are worried about a family members health, you could check your Skype voicemail from time to time whenever you have WiFi.

Skype will also (for a per-minute fee) forward calls from your Skype phone number to an international phone number, but this isn't cheap usually, perhaps 20cents to 30 cents per minute - cost from Skype. But these international SIM cards usually have free incoming calls (if you aren't roaming in some other country). So if someone calls your Skype number and Skype forwards (per minute cost to your Skype account) to your local SIM phone number (free incoming calls), at least you can receive calls that way.

I have T-Mobile, and it's tempting to use their recent low cost per-minute international calling on my next trip to Europe, something like 25 cents a minute I think. I doubt I'll use it much.
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 05:38 PM

If you are not planning to make or receive many calls the AT&T international plan is really the easiest way to go, and no need to worry about unlocking or switching, activating and keeping track of SIMs. You can get a bundle of discounted text messages, which we found useful. There is also an app (AT&T Call International) you can download that gives you deeply discounted AT&T rates, but works only when you are connected to WiFi (like skype.)

If you do plan to make/receive a lot of calls, getting a local SIM will save money. There are scads of places in both London and Paris that will sell you a SIM. With Lebara calls to other Lebara users are free; on trips of more than a few days we have used Lebara and it was fine. Told the folks back home the Lebara number for emergency use.

The bigger international roaming cost issue is data - it is incredibly expensive, and iPhone is a data hog. Best idea is to turn off data roaming, use data only when connected to WiFi.
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 09:03 AM

My husband and I are both planning to bring our iphone with us on our Europe trip. We have asked our carrier to activate our phones for international use. I am confused about how to use the phone in Europe though. We will be in London, Brussels, and Paris.

1. Do we just dial the normal US numbers when we want to call each other?
2. How do we make local calls while we are in London, Brussels, and Paris? Do we have to punch in the country code for that particular location firs?
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 09:45 AM

Hoai - who is your provider?
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 02:16 PM

If you travel to Europe often, then T-Moble would be hard to beat. If you don't, and you like your service with AT&T, they do offer a marginally good data roaming plan, but phone calls can get expensive, even with the international plan.

By law, AT&T would have to unlock your iPhone if you've had it at least three months.

The iPhone 4S, like certain models of the BlackBerry, is capable of Wi-Fi calling (free local and international calls when in a Wi-Fi hot spot), if your service provider allows it.
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 02:44 PM

My provider is Verizon
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 03:11 PM

propita :

Since you say you are confused here is the simplest answer I can give. You say 2 of your phones are unlocked. Take them with you. Leave the locked one at home. Pick up SIMs when you get to London... because your phones are unlocked the SIMs will work. Which SIM to buy is another question.
Old Jun 12th, 2014, 07:06 AM

I am in Paris now and have a AT&T Iphone 5s. In setting, I leave wifi on and bluetooth on and turn off cellular. I check my phone and my AT&T bill regularily because I'm paranoid. Been here a month and have used 0 roaming

We have wifi in our apartment so I text family morning and night. Our apartment also has free calls to US on its landline. AT&T would not unlock my 6 mo old Iphone. I don't know about any law saying they must
Old Jun 14th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. Our trip is over. We did take the phones, but used them only on wifi. Probably just as well.