SIM Cards for iPhone w/ Data

Old May 11th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIM Cards for iPhone w/ Data

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with getting a prepaid SIM card for an iPhone that includes Data in Europe (specifically U.K., France, Italy, Germany)? Thanks for the help!
Old May 11th, 2012, 05:55 PM

I asked exactly the same question a few days ago! If you click on my name the thread will come up. Would like more specific info though.
Old May 11th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Hmm, from what I can tell that will only apply to E.U. phone users using their phones in the E.U. I don't think it would apply to U.S. phones (which I forgot to specify) being used in the E.U.
Old May 11th, 2012, 07:12 PM

If you want a data program that covers several countries, they are available online, but I can't say that they are the best use of your money.

If you have AT&T, then they have a roaming program for data that actually works out not to be that expensive, but phone calls are completely different. Some of the cost may be reduced on 1 July when the new roaming rules come into affect in the EU.

One of the advantages of the iPhone is that it can be use in a WiFi zone at no charge, just like the iPad.
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:39 AM

I don't know if there is such a thing as a prepaid SIM card that covers more than one country.

I have bought & used a prepaid SIM with data for my Verizon iPhone 4s. The first step is to call Verizon and get them to unlock the phone for international card usage. Google online for instructions and more info. This is *not* the same thing as roaming on your phone or using one of their international plans. They will have to transfer you to a technician, who in explaining everything will use scary words like 'brick.' However, it's basically easy, on your end.

I have no experience of anything but Verizon. Also, I understand you must have the latest model iPhone 4 for any of this to apply.

After that, you can wait to buy an international SIM card until you're at your destination. NB that you will actually need a *micro*SIM card for the iPhone. The simplest thing to do is to go into one of the many, many phone stores scattered around, and get the card and data plan set up there.
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:00 AM

If your phone is unlocked and will accept prepay SIM cards then the price reductions within the EU apply. There is no way of knowing whether the SIM is in a US phone, a UK phone or one from Venus for that matter. SO it is almost certainly cheaper to buy a SIM card in the first European country you visit and to use it whilst roaming in the others than it is to keep buying new SIMs in each country.
Vodaphone allow you to top up a PAYG phone in any country in which they offer service.

But your phone has to be unlocked and for the iPhone you need a micro SIM.
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:51 AM

I have an unlocked iPhone 3 and a Nat Geo SIM. It has data throughout Europe at about $1 a MB, so not ideal for photos and vids, but I have pulled up a map and done some emailing. Careful with it in Italy it's like 15 bucks a MB! Mostly I use the WiFi and try and route out where I'm going in advance. I think now you can get this SIM as a micro SIM for the 4 and 4s iPhone.
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:59 AM

<One of the advantages of the iPhone is that it can be use in a WiFi zone at no charge, just like the iPad.>

I use Skype Mobile on my iphone 3GS to place international calls when traveling in Europe. WiFI zones are fairly easy to find IME.