International phone cards

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My children are going to Israel within the next few months and we are going to Italy in October. Do they have phone cards to purchase that would allow them contact with me when they are in Israel or do they have to purchase them there?

Do most health insurance companies provide coverage when you are abroad?

Thanks for your answers
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:52 AM

You can purchase phone cards right here in the US. Just about any phone card will do. Just check the back for information on dailing foreign countries.

Doubtful that your health care plan will cover you in europe. Best to check directly with them. All you will receive on this board are "best guesses". I know that my health care provider, United Health Care, does not. However, health care in Europe is quite good and inexpensive compared to the US.
Old May 16th, 2004, 08:58 AM

Coverage abroad is determined by the terms of your policy. Even if such coverage is provided, there may be requirements for you to notify the plan in the event you need care. Contact customer service for your health plan, tell them your travel plans and ask what (if any) coverage you have and what (if anything) you will need to do to assure benefit coverage in the event you need care. Ask if they have a number that you can call collect from overseas if necessary (some do, some don't.)

As for phone cards, there are myriad options. It may be worthwhile investing in a tri- or quad-band GSM phone that the kids can take with them and then you take it, too. Do some research to see what will work best for you. A good review of options is online at http://www.thetravelinsider.info/2002/0308.htm
Old May 16th, 2004, 10:54 AM
jay

we usually get the cards that they have at costco. they are $20 and work great.
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Jay, i can purchase them at Costco and give them to the kids to use to phone me from Israel to here?