international luggage question

Mar 6th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

international luggage question

We begin our trip in Orlando to Frankfurt with a connection in JFK. When we check our bags in Orlando, will they be checked all the way to Frankfurt, or will we have to go get our bags in JFK for customs? We are going to have a layover at JFK and we really are not looking forward to lugging around big bags.

Thanks
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:51 PM

Since Orlando and JFK are both in the US, you will not have to deal with customs until you arrive in Frankfurt. Assuming you are booked all the way through to Frankfurt on either the same airline or codeshare partner airlines, you won't have to think about your luggage until you arrive in Frankfurt. However, for peace of mind, just call the airline you'll be flying with out of Orlando.
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Just make sure your luggage is checked all the way to Frankfurt and you shouldn't have to deal with it until you get there.
1jan1
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Tim's right. In most cases they will go right through. However, be aware that coming back is different. You will have to get your bags at your first entrance into the country. You can then recheck them after going through customs.
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:23 PM

Here's a related question:

I've purchased two separate tickets, MIA to LHR, LHR to SNN on two different airlines (Virgin through Travelocity on one, Aer Lingus direct on the other). Does that mean I have to collect luggage, go through customs, and recheck in London>?

I think I do, but just want to verify. Thanks!
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:30 PM

GreenDragon,
You may be able to get your luggage checked thru. Virgin and Aer Lingus have interline luggage agreements. Wouldn't hurt to ask. BA is usually the big problem with checking thru on separate tickets.
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:44 PM

If it were me, I'd gladly get my luggage and recheck it in. I'd HATE to arrive in another country and my luggage got misplaced (even if temporarily). You shouldn't have to lug it around the airport, just check in right away.

FYI: I read some good advice, label your luggage with two different addresses, on your trip there...put hotel address, and when you return, put home address, that way, if it does get lost, it come to where you are
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:02 PM

Green Dragon:

Forgive me if you know this already.

But whether or not Virgin will through-check your bags to Shannon, you have to go through immigration and security, and change terminals, at Heathrow: Customs is practically never an issue in Europe anyway. So in terms of the time for your connection, through-checking doesn't affect very much.

Ensure at least 90 minutes for all this. Arriving early am at T3, 2 hours is better.
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:30 AM

Just to add that the UK & Ireland are in a common travel area therefore when you arrive in London you have to pass through immigration which isn't the case if you were going elsewhere.

For information on transitting Heathrow go to http://www.heathrowairport.com/ , click on "airport information", then "flying into Heathrow" and finally "connecting passengers".
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:32 AM

I have 2 hours on the outbound (MIA-LHR, LHR-SNN), and 3.25 hours on the inbound (DUB-LHR, LHR-MIA), so I should be fine. I'm traveling with two friends and we'd like one less detail to worry about

I'll contact Virgin and see if they'll do it. Travelocity said they couldn't. Thanks!
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:52 AM

Twohorse...just a heads up! Get to Orlando airport with lots of time to spare. The boarding and ID check before you get to security is a ZOO!! It took over 1 hour from checkin to get to the front of the ID check line and then you still have security to go thru. It is worse than CDG, LHR, and Gatwick combined!
Mar 7th, 2006, 09:50 AM

I'll second that -- MCO is NOT organized in any recognizable manner, and while it gets somewhat better in the summer (low season for Florida) it's never 'easy'