Frankfurt Airport Layover

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am arriving in the Frankfurt airport at 8:30 am and have a connecting flight to Hanover at 9:50. I was wondering if the layover is a sufficient amount of time to get to Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 as well as clearing customs and immigration? Thanks
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 01:39 PM

Is Frankfurt your Schengen entrance? It should be just enough time. If you feel you're running out of time for the security check then look for airport personnel to speed you through. I find the Frankfurt staff very helpful.

Since you mention customs, that indicates you are picking up your checked luggage in Frankfurt. Why aren't you checking it through to Hanover? Normally, luggage is checked through to the final destination.

Customs in Europe is seamless; you simply pick up your bag and walk through a "nothing to declare" door - it takes no time at all, perhaps a minute if you walk slowly. Waiting for baggage is what takes time and if you have to do this, for whatever reason, then you will not have enough time to make your next flight.
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

I fly delta from Detroit MI into Frankfurt then fly Lufthansa to Hannover. Will I need to check my baggage again? Thanks for your help I have not flown internationally to Europe before!
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 03:16 PM

Are you traveling on two separate tickets. If so probably you'll have to claim your luggage as Delta is not in the same alliance as Lufthansa.

I'm not as upbeat on Frankfurt airport as Adrienne above is. I just connected on Frankfurt , flying from Madrid back to US , my second time connecting there. As horrid or more as my first time. Totally confusing airport, flight info monitors that either dont work or dont give specific gate information, just "area" where flight is leaving from. Had to stand in line to speak to a Lufthansa information employee who consulted his Ipad and was able to give megate info. But he caution me this could change and not to pay attention to info on monitors as it was not to be trusted! Huh? I had 2 hrs to connect and I found it's about the minimum you need (and I didnt need to collect my luggage).
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

A travel agent actually booked my flights so I have a full itinerary (from my ariport in the USA to Hannover) I just happen to be flying Delta my flight over to Frankfurt and Lufthansa to Hannover. All of the flights were booked at the same time so they are in the same "trip". Thanks!
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 05:09 PM

You need to contact Delta and confirm that they will mark the luggage for Hannover and automatically transfer to Lufthansa. I would think they will do so - but there is no reason not to ask.
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 09:21 PM

As you booked your trip on "one ticket", all legs should be identified by the same so called PNR (number).
When Delta and Lufthansa have an interline agreement the gate agent will check your luggage through to Hannover.
But there is some info on the web that Delta stopped or modified their interline policy so contact your travel agent and get an answer in writing. When things go South I would want something more substantial than just being able to say that some Kathy in a call center said it was okay.
If Delta does not check through your bags to LH to Hannover then 1hr 20min connecting time in FRA will be really tight as you'll have to claim and re-check your luggage.
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 12:59 AM

The other question to ask of your travel agent is if you miss the Lufthansa flight will they put you on the next flight to Hannover without additional charges or buying a new ticket.

If you're older and not very mobile you should ask for an assist to get you through the airport and to your gate on time as Frankfurt is a huge airport. I am not suggesting you do this if you do not qualify for an assist.