Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Frankfurt Airport Help and Advice needed please

Dec 21st, 2009, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

We are arriving in Frankfurt Airport Terminal 2 at 6 am and need to transfer to Terminal 1 to catch a flight to Barcelona which leaves at 10 am. I have heard that this airport is enormous and am wondering if we will have time to collect baggage, clear customs, transfer terminals and still be in time for the flight. If anyone has experience I would really appreciate some advice on this. The alternative is a 7 hour wait between flights (after a 21 hour flight from Australia). Thanks ....
Dec 21st, 2009, 03:11 PM

Plenty enough time.
Dec 21st, 2009, 03:46 PM

4 hrs should be plenty.

But, why do you want to collect baggage and clear customs at FRA? When I do this route from the U.S., I check my luggage to BCN from the U.S. I avoid collecting baggage, clearing customs, and rechecking luggage at FRA. You cannot check luggage to BCN from Australia?
Dec 21st, 2009, 04:08 PM

Frankfurt Airport is big, but not difficult to get around. It is also, IMHO, one of the most efficient airports around. Four hours should be plenty. Do agree with Greg. Can you not check luggage all the way through?
Dec 21st, 2009, 04:12 PM

You will go through passport control in Frankfurt and customs in Barcelona. You will not see your bags at Frankfurt (assuming you have them checked through).
Dec 21st, 2009, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all - you have really eased my mind. Re baggage, I didn't think I could check through baggage when I was flying on one airline, Qantas, to Frankfurt (on frequent flyer points) then on a different airline (Lufthansa) to Barcelona. I will give Qantas a ring and check this as would make it much easier. Thanks so much for the advice ....