International Drivers Permits

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
International Drivers Permits

I know the laws changed last summer for requirements regarding IDP's. We have never had to get one before when travelling in Europe, but does anyone know if we now need one for Scotland?
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 06:57 AM

We both got IDPs from AAA for our Vacation to Europe and never once had to show them to anyone.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 07:00 AM

You don't need one when driving in the UK. Your US license is good for one year.

The international licenses are useful when traveling in a country outside the UK and Ireland, unless you speak the local language.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for confirming what I thought.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 08:27 AM

You will need one in Austria and Italy. I've never been asked for one, but I've also never been stopped.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 08:38 AM

Since the idea of the permit is that is a foreign language translation to accompany your own driver's license, it would be sort of silly to get one for an English speaking country.

This is a much more intelligent discussion this time than the many times it has been asked before. Usually many people rant that it is a waste of time because they never "needed" it. I guess thed think the same thing with insurance -- "guess I'll cancel it and not get any because in several trips I've never used it". Huh?
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 09:00 AM

not that it is a waste, but legally (perhaps until recently) a foreign driver's license is/was good in that country you are visiting for up to 90 days with no translation as you are considered transient.

same goes for USA. for ex: a spaniard can drive on his license there (in USA)with no international one.

however, according to a post here, some car agencies in some countries are now asking for them at the rental counters.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 09:23 AM
ira

Italy now requires the rental agency to see your IDP before renting you a car.

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 09:45 AM

The IDP has been a legal requirement in several countries around the world for over 50 years. Other countries have begun to require it more recently. Other countries require a certified translation of your driving license, with the IDP being one acceptable format. Other countries don't require it at all and never have.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 09:54 AM

According to the Washington Post Travel Section's Comings and Goings Sunday Jan. 23:

"Plannng to rent a car in Italy? CoGo's advice: Buy an International Driving Permit before leaving home.

The requirement has technically been in effect since last summer, but rental car companies are "easing into this new law," so some may require an IDP and some won't, said Cosmo Frasca of the Italian Government Tourist Board. However, he recommends that Americans not count on lax enforcement since the requirement is "pretty much mandatory" for all foreigners except those from EU countries.

Only two organizations are authorized by the U.S. State Department to issue an IDP: AAA and the American Automobile Touring Alliance (through the National Automobile Club). Show up at one of their offices with your state-issued license, $10 and two passport-size photographs to get a permit good for one year.

Beware: Do not confuse an IDP with an IDL, or International Driving License. Numerous companies offer IDLs on the Web. Those that promise that an IDL will substitute for a suspended state license are scams. Others are legit, but are simply translating your current license. A translation is required in a handful of countries, but you're better off with an IDP, good in more than 150 countries.

Unfortunately, there is no single source for finding up-to-date information on license requirements around the world. A study provided by AAA reveals a hodgepodge of rules. India, for example, requires an IDP. Brazil requires either an IDP or a notarized translation of your license. The government of Bolivia doesn't require an IDP, but car rental companies there do. Then there are places like Hungary, where a foreign license is acceptable if it "conforms with the model in Annex 9 of the 1949 Convention or Annex 6 of the 1968 Convention." Right.

If in doubt, check with the consulate of the country you are visiting and your car rental company -- or just get the IDP. For AAA: 800-763-9900, www.aaa.com. For the National Automobile Club: 650-294-7000, www.thenac.com; click on "Int'l Travel Documents."