Search

IDP in UK?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IDP in UK?

In another thread a poster says an International Driving Permit is required in the UK, at least by Enterprise. Anybody know about this? It doesn't makes sense to me; the IDP is just a translation of one's license. No need to translate English.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no legal need for someone with a valid driving licence from most countries (including pretty well all those that regularly post here)to have an IDP to hire or drive a car in Britain. If they've been here for a year or more, however, they must take a UK driving test: neither an IDP nor a foreign licence are sufficient any more.

What requirements an individual car hire company might have are entirely up that company, which has a perfect right to act as unreasonably as it likes. If there's a company alleged to have a silly requirement, you need to check with them
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw that too and was <b>reaqlly</b> surprised. The poster who wrote that says the Enterprise contract says an IDP is required for any non-UK resident. If that is true, it is totally nuts - and Enterprise will likely lose business. I'd guess less than 5% or 10% of US travelers even consider getting an IDP for a UK trip. What do they do, turn the customers away when they show up at GLA or EDO or LHR - I'd bet not. It would make a bit of sense for someone traveling from a non-english speaking country . Maybe it is just Enterprise's lazy way out of having to spell out which customers need one and which don't.

I've rented from enterprise in the UK several times (tried to count up how many - probably 5 or 6 times over the years) and never once did they mention an IDP.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:08 PM

. . . EDI . . . .

didn't mean Edremit, Turkey (EDO)
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 10:45 AM

OK - I e-mailed Enterrprise UK directly and just received their reply

&quot;<i>Response (Christy) - 06/29/2006 09:42 AM
Thank you for your e-mail.

It is not required, you just need your valid drivers licence and passport.</i>&quot;

(Here is the inquiry I sent) Customer (name omitted) 06/28/2006 01:42 AM I post to a very busy travel forum (Fodors.com) and we are having a discussion re EnterpriseUK. Background: I'm American who travels to the UK 2-3 times a yr and rents cars most trips. In 20+ yrs I've hired from Ent., Hertz, Avis, Thrifty, Kendal's, Fox, and others. Not once have I been asked to show an International Drivers Permit. Understandable since an IDP is merely a
translation of a driving license which would not be required for a USA-issued document. A Fodors member swears EnterpriseUK's contract requires IDPs from US visitors. Is this true? It is causing a lot of confusion and I hope you can clarify the situation. Thank you&quot;