international drivers license

May 30th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

international drivers license

I will be traveling to Ireland in 2 weeks and have a car booked. Do I need an international drivers license? I am still worried about that driving on the wrong side of the road... I know what I have read though and will follow all your advice, think left!
May 30th, 2005, 02:50 PM

Hi Lydia

While my rent car company didn't ask for it, I got one anyway, it's 10 bucks and in case you have trouble, it's worth it. Driving on the left is only a challenge when you come out of the airport in your rent car, be careful there and you'll get the hang of it.
May 30th, 2005, 03:01 PM

You do not need an international drivers license for Ireland if you are from the US. Just your US drivers license.

I have not been yet but have been doing much checking into the rental car and driving in Ireland.

A few other things I have picked up on is:
-Get a good map at the first gas station or auto shop.

-Careful with the roundabouts.

-look left, wide right

-rearview mirror is up and to your LEFT, check the traffic behind you to pull over and let some by

-with oncoming traffic, they will not hit you, don't jerk left onto a rock filled ditch, just slow down and hold your ground...there is room

-parking and the parking discs

-Yellow line on pavement means no parking mon-sat during business hours, double yellow means no parking at all, broken yellow means short stop is okay.

Have a great trip and let us know how it went!
May 30th, 2005, 03:07 PM

Since pretty much the sole purpose of an international driver's permit is to provide a translation of your English-language license, and since English is the the mother tongue in Ireland, the answer is clear - no.
May 30th, 2005, 03:14 PM

Having been to Ireland many times, I can confirm that you DO NOT need to get an international drivers license. It is useful for countries where the language is not English since it is a translation of your original license into other languages. In Ireland they speak English, so it is not needed. Spend the extra $10 lunch or souvenirs.

If you Google "how to drive a car in ireland" you will find lots of helpful tips.

Search this Thread