Ireland driving?

Search

Ireland driving?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland driving?

Howdy...Can anyone give this first timer some tips on driving in Ireland? We're renting a car to see the SW coast in August. Any local courtesies or obscenitites I might need to identify? Do I pull over for sheep? Also, how do you keep from instinctively driving on the right side of the road? I'm afraid I might kill somebody (or myself)!
Many thanks
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:44 PM

If you are afraid you might kill somebody, don't drive. Sheep love it when you don't yield the right of way, and if you are given the finger, it's the Irish way of saying hello.

Trolling, trolling, trolling.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:52 PM

jsut testing
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:53 PM

jbob:

Get your practice in at the airport pick-up! You will feel funny at first, but if you practice a bit and get familiar with the left hand stick shift (get Auto if you can) you will get the hang of it in no time! Watch out for those quaint hedgerows along the road, they have a nasty side....ask me how I know!
JOHN
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 06:51 PM

Do you pull over for sheep? Well, if the alternative is running over the sheep, then, yes, please do pull over.
If you'll have companions in the car with you, it can help to have them remind you to 'stay left' for the first few days, especially in those situations when your normal habits might surface, like in roundabouts, while turning, in parking lots.
In more rural parts of the country, Irish drivers will often lift one finger from the steering wheel in greeting to oncoming drivers. (At least, I think they were greeting me. They couldn't ALL have had reason to make obscene gestures.)
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 06:57 PM

Someone on this site recommended getting an L sticker in a gas station to indicate you are a student driver. This might make motorists behind you more forgiving.
After driving in England, (I'll drive in Ireland the first time this year) I recommend a navigator (a companion with a good map I mean). There is no way for you to easily navigate your route and drive when you have to keep reminding yourself 'keep left keep left' (it should be your Mantra). There is no way to go straight-every roundabout means going stratight is actually taking the third left etc. so you need to know the name of every tiny town on your route and there's no place to pull over and look at a map. But, as I said, that was driving in the UK...it may be easier to navigate through Ireland (she says crossing fingers)...
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:09 PM

Don't pull over for sheep with flashing red lights. This is a common scam in Ireland. After having the wool pulled over their eyes, many tourists have felt sheepish that a dumb animal had gotten their goat so baaaaaaaaaadly. Just keep going, the worse the sheep can do is give you "the hoof".

Otherwise, driving on the left is something you get used to in a few minutes but you won't get really good at it, or have it come naturally in the course of one vacation.

After my first few miles of driving on the left, I'm glad I didn't have the L sticker. Someone might have thought it stood for Lunatic.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help...love the humor and the insights!
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:38 PM
jor

Just drive like a bat out of hell and you will fit right in. The rule about pedestrians crossing streets is drive like hell and try to run them over. When driving on a road only designed one-car wide and approching a blind spot or hill top, step on the gas and hope nobody is comming your way. The only acception to these rules seems to be braking for sheep. There are no sheep in Dublin so this would be an excellent place to have a reck.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 03:18 AM

Forget the L sticked we never pay attention to them! As for roundabouts it took me years to master this. Always stay to the left lane in a roundabout so if you miss the turnoff (alsways indicate!) you can go round again. I always think of National Lampoon Vacation when they are stuck on one for hours . They are much smaller here!
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 03:53 AM

Best advice I have gotten is to fly into Shannon - its a less populated area - easier to get familiar with your vehicle than in Dublin where the traffic is an added adventure! Also, if you are used to driving an automatic, GET ONE! the money you save with a manual transmission car isn't worth the hassle if you're not accustomed to driving one. You've enough to get used to with the opposite side of the road thing...and the driver might want to enjoy the trip, too, and shouldn't have to spend all his driving time thinking about the clutch!
Go at a rate you feel comfortable. If traffic is accummulating in your wake, pull over at the next opportunity and let them pass!
If confronted with a larger vehicle heading right for you on a small road, get as close to the edge of the road as you can and slow down or stop - let him manuver around you!
As for driving on the left, practice by staying in the passing lane on interstate highways!
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 04:42 AM

When we picked up our rental in Dublin, we got lost around the airport(how, I will never know), and I thought what a way to start a trip! Here we were in our tiny "clown car" as my husband fondly named it, and I was terrified and kept on saying, keep left, keep left, keep left, till we found the right road. It was this trial by fire, that gave my husband, the guts to continue our trip. We had a grand time, and it was one of our fav trips. Judy
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 05:22 AM
Ardfert

There are indeed no sheep in Dublin but surprisingly there are deer.The Phoenix Park is about 1700 acres and is 2 miles from the centre of the city.There has been a herd of deer there-dozens of animals- for the last 350 years or so and if you are driving along one of the roads though the park you may occasionally see one on the road-you will often see them on the grass nearby.I have never seen them outside the park but I have seen a few deer on the roads in County Wicklow.

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 06:13 AM

One of the things I picked up on my last trip, a few weeks ago was this:
When you are on a 2 lane road, behind a truck, and there is no shoulder or passing lane, and the truck puts on its signal ( like it is turning Left) - they are usually signalling that it is safe to pass them.
This took us over a week to figure out. We kept wondering " where do they think they are going? there is no junction here...." But then we understood. We couldn't see around them, so they were giving us the heads up to pass.

Very cool.

-- To keep on the correct side of the road- use this rule of thumb. Keep your outside shoulder on the center line.

Oh and one more thing - Flashing yellow lights/ balls mean there is a pedestrian crossing there - yield to the foot traffic.

Debbie
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 08:15 AM

Hi jbob

The practice Debbie mentions seems quite common in rural areas of the UK and Ireland. Generally drivers are much more comfortable in sharing the road, and road rage is pretty uncommon, though the younger set seems to be picking it up a bit.

A note that no one has made yet is this. It is common for people to park there cars in the road for a quick stop at the local market. It is important to notice that even when they are on the opposite side of the road. From what I can tell, the right of way around that vehicle goes to the first car to reach it, regardless of direction. I sort of back off that notion a bit out of fear, but you will find locals jumping into your lane from the opposite direction to get around a parked car. Keep your eyes open!

Ireland has been struggling with a high incidence of driving fatalities and as of last May, as you entered each county you found a sobering sign that list the number of deaths that year and how it compares to the previous year. I assume those signs are still there.

So, take your time, and be careful on the blind curves.

Bill
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 08:53 AM

One of the things that really struck us on this last trip , was that the drivers / cars were much more curteous than the Pedestrians.

Other cars let you pass, or passed you instead of tailgating you. They slowed/stopped for pedestrians, let other cars in when needed. ( only exception is the odd- double parked car that just seemed to be 'left' there)

On the other hand, when walking down the street we remarked over and over again, that it was like being run off the sidewalk. We would all move to single file, yet the locals ( usually < 30yrs) keep on coming , 2 and 3 abreast, not about to move an inch to share the sidewalk. This was everywhere - almost everyplace we went to, we commented on how much more cordial it was in the car , than on the sidewalk.

Oh another thing to look for - They park any direction they can on the street ( sometimes on the sidewalks if need be.) This can confuse you the first couple of days " The cars are parked facing me - Am I on the correct side of the road?" Don't let it spook you, you will get used to it.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 10:27 AM

If you think another driver is giving you the "peace" sign, they're not. It means something very different in Ireland.

Be prepared to pull over onto the shoulder (you don't have to stop unless there's no room. Just slow down a bit) so that cars can go around you. Do this whenever you notice a line of cars behind you.

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 12:46 PM

jbob,

When it comes to driving in Ireland, it's important to follow two basic rules: take it slow and leave your competitive side at home.

Ireland's Celtic Tiger economy has witnessed many changes, two of which are greatly improved roads and bigger, faster cars. Needless to say, that's a double-edged sword. For the nervous tourist it means fewer potholes and smoother overall sailing; yet it also means yielding to native tailgaters. In other words, don't attempt to outrun speeding commuters while on your Irish holiday; rather pull off to the side of the road. Who knows? A great photo op sometimes occurs when you least expect it.

In addition, try to do the bulk of your driving during daylight. Night driving in Ireland, particularly in rural areas, is especially challenging for the uninitiated.

Finally, pay special attention when you're getting back onto the road after, say, making a quick stop at a gas station or convenience store. I've driven in Ireland for a good many years, yet I'll too often find myself instinctively pulling into the right-hand lane and then proceeding. Thankfully, my companion is forever alert and is quick to correct me.

Once again, take your time, take it slow, leave your Ben Hur chariot race tendencies back in the states, and you'll do just fine. Driving the byways of Ireland is actually an enjoyable adventure.

Best of luck.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 12:55 PM

jbob: Rent an AUTOMATIC (not too large -the roads really are that narrow and the fuel really is that expensive), buy the full CDW (peace of mind, you'll have enough to worry about), pick up a Michelin map (you'll still get lost) and don't be ashamed to ask for directions. The Irish may not be great drivers, but they are some of the nicest and friendliest people on Earth.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 01:36 PM

Burbank's comments reminded me of something else.

Don't be shy about asking for directions. We must have stopped at gas stations and shops almost every day ( sometimes twice to get directions or to confirm we were on the right road. EVERYONE was great - eager to point us on the right path. We even stopped a few unsuspecting walkers, and they were happy to help too.

If you get into a place where the "street sign" that is on a swivel post is pointing you one way , but you are pretty sure it is wrong, check with someone. This happened to us at Powerscourt. Sign one pointed us up the road. 1/2 way there , Sign 2 pointed us back to the center of town. We asked at a shop and were told to go past sign 2 up the road to the big gate. Seems that the arrow for Powerscourt got turned around - by wind ? or teenager? who knows - but a simple question in a shop, and we were on our way.

Debbie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -