Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

International calling cards--how much per minute?

Old Mar 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to compare costs of calling cards and buying or renting a cell phone. How much per minute are the phone cards you buy at newsstands?

Thanks
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 01:58 PM

The Europa card in Italy is 5 Euro for 200 minutes. I found that if I called from a hotel, I got that many minutes, but if I call from a pay phone, it eats up the time faster. Still a very cheap way to call the US from Italy, definitely cheaper than buying a cell phone if you just want to make a few calls home. It's also good for calls within Italy.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks SusanP
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Are you talking about calling within a European country, calling from one European country to another or calling from a European country to the US?

If the later is your concern, then a calling card bought at a Target or a Walmart will work. I haven't used one that much but I think a call home costs between 10 and 20 cents per minute.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 02:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
In France, a calling card will cost you about 2 cents an hour to call the United States. (+ the connection fee)
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 02:19 PM

Hello Connie

It's funny you mention this. Just a few minutes ago, I got off the phone with MCI, discussing my phone cards and how much time I have left on them.

I have 2 cards, both good for international calling (both directions). These were purchasd at Costco several years ago, and I have just continued to refill them.

Wow, was I ever shocked at how the rates have gone up on the "from Europe to US" rates! Seems to me when I purchased them, it was about 10-15 cents a minute. Check these rates out: (so now I'll be closely following this post for a better deal).

(And I only checked rates to the countries I'm visiting this year).

From Germany & France to US - 29 cents a minute!

From Switzerland to US - 39 cents a minute!

US to Europe is only 6 cents a minute.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Rick Steves says the cards you buy at news stands in Europe are a lot cheaper per minute than calling cards for sale in the U.S. for calling from Europe to U.S. and locally in Europe.

I'm trying to see how they compare with a rented or purchased cell phone. A rental phone I was looking into charges over $2 a minute to call the U.S.

It sounds like the European calling cards are pennies a minute. I think I'll just stick with them using hotel and pay phones.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Connie: I thought the phone card was a great bargain - as Susan mentioned for 5E you get 200 minutes on the Europa card. They are available at tobacco shops everywhere, and you can use them from your hotel phone or pay phones. Plus you have the added advantage of not having people from work or home calling you - it was a great pleasure not being available 24/7 while I was on vacation, LOL.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 04:37 PM

Europa card for Italy.
Banana card for Germany.
Eurotel for the UK.
For France, its a card that has a dark faced lady on it-can't think of the name off hand?
All of these can be bought at a Tabac and work soooooooooo easy both at your hotel or payphone. Most are good for at least 90 days once you activate them.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 05:15 PM

Last year I went to London and Dublin. In lieu of a calling card - I purchased a "pay as you go" phone from Carphone Warehouse. It cost me $20 US for the phone and $20 US for the pre pay card. I exchanged text messages with my sister every day and spoke with her almost every other day. As well as communicated with other family members.

It lasted 10 days and I still had some minutes left over.

I recommend a pay as you go phone.

8-)
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 05:54 PM

Question:
Does a 5 Euro calling card mentioned bought in Italy also work in Germany ? Or am I expecting too much (grin)

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 06:54 PM

No,use the Banana card in Germany!