Search

instead of bologna?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2010, 01:23 PM
act
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
instead of bologna?

we'd hoped to stay in bologna for four days and take day trips out as we heard the train connections from there are so good(no car). however when we will be there at the end of september, there is a green convention and hotels are full and triple the normal price. any suggestions for another place from which to do the day trips? we are going after a week in umbria and before four days in venice. for culinary nourishment! we're 55 & 65 and in good health-plan to walk a lot.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 01:36 PM

For peace and quiet, you can try Ferrara just 30 minutes away by train. For gourmet treats, the train line that includes Modena and Parma will guarantee fabulous eating, lovely town centers and marvelous artistic heritage.

Twenty minutes by train in the other direction will land you in historic and gastronomic Modena, with its UNESCO World Heritage town center. The fabulous town of Parma -- for beauty and food -- is an hour by train from Bologna.

Finally, Bologna actually has a very good inner city tram and bus system that runs fairly late at night, making it possible to stay on the periphery of Bologna and have an easy trip to the train station for day trips, to the historic center for sightseeing, and back to the hotel after dinner.

If your day trips include Ravenna and/or Faenza, I might pick Ferrara or Modena,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/200...nvents-holiday

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Beauti...aly&id=1000400

Venere.com is good for looking up availability in these places, plus a few suburban Bolognese hotels that might not have jacked up there prices.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 03:44 PM

Verona is another good transit hub with good connections to Padova, Vicenza Mantova, Bologna, Lago di Garda, Milano, and many other choices. I think the food and wine pretty interesting as well.

Zeppole ideas to stay outside the center of Bologna s a good option.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 04:01 PM

Parma! Delightful town. Hotels in Parma may be expensive too, depending on what's going on, and there aren't many hotels in the core. The Hotel Button is one of the most likely choices (great location, decent hotel). Parma is smaller than Bologna and, in my opinion, more fun to visit. It seems more walking friendly, and you'll still get great food!
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 04:19 PM

It's a good idea to stay in Modena or Ferrara. Definitely still go to Bologna for day trips. You should make even your lunch reservations in advance. You could spend a day in Ravenna, one or two in Bologna, one in Modena (I recommend a tour of one of the balsamic houses) and Ferrara.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Also, here is a tucked away pensione in the middle of Bologna that might be worth trying to see if they have availability. It is a marvelous location. Check Tripadvisor reviews to see if it would work for you. I've only stayed in the same building, not in this tiny albergo.

http://www.albergogarisenda.com/eng/main.php
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 07:54 AM
act
Original Poster

thank you-that is all quite useful info.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 09:48 PM

I've just been looking as well since I was thinking of changing my night in Siena to a night in Bologna (after a week in Ravenna, 4 days in Impruneta, and 2 days in Venice) and on my way to Rome. Maybe will try one of these other smaller towns nearby.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 10:02 PM

Funny - I spent one night in Bologna but did only a day trip to Siena. I kind of wish I'd done it the other way around! I had the best food in Bologna of any other while I was in Italy but otherwise, I was not enchanted with the town. I much preferred Siena and am sad I did not spend a night there.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 01:56 AM

We much preferred Bologna to Sienna and cannot wait to return one of these days. Siena is pretty but Bologna has a much less touristy feel IMO.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 12:38 PM

Does anyone know if the train station has luggage lockers in Bologna? I'm getting resigned to passing through it on this trip....
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 12:58 PM

Yes, there is luggage storage in Bologna. Hope this link works:

http://www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/i...003f16f90aRCRD

Opening Hours
7/7 days
06.00 - 22.00
Charges
4,00 € the first 5 hours
0,60 € /hour from 6th to 12th hour
0,20 € /hour from 13th hour on
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:13 PM

I totally agree that Siena is more touristy than Bologna. For some reason, Bologna didn't charm me (though the excellent food made visiting very worthwhile). It seemed very "businesslike" and busy - and I wasn't at a convention, I was downtown. By contrast, the also not-very-touristy and smaller Parma was I thought much more pleasant, maybe because the core of Parma has a large pedestrian-only area.

I've heard that Siena, like many other places inundated in the daytime by daytrippers (like I was!) is much more pleasant at night when most of them go home.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:38 PM

Bologna may seduce people more than charm them, partly because of the food, partly because of the bookstores, and maybe be too the red buildings just finally seem warm and protective. The presence of so many young people also is affecting, and adds a spontaneity and goofiness in quarters (and some annoying rowdiness in others).

I'm just plain allergic to Siena, despite its astounding art treasures. Like Venice, I go and its rewarding, but I don't want to hang out there.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 06:09 PM

Thank you ellenem!