Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Input reqd (Munich-Salzbrg-Garmisch-Lucerne-Blk Frst-Prague)

Input reqd (Munich-Salzbrg-Garmisch-Lucerne-Blk Frst-Prague)

Aug 1st, 2012, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Input reqd (Munich-Salzbrg-Garmisch-Lucerne-Blk Frst-Prague)

Hello all,

Based on strong feed back on my prior itinerary I have made a revised plan:

I will not have any rail pass. I will have a car from Day 4 to day 8

Day Morning -- Afternoon -- Night stay
Day 1 Fly into prague -- travel to Munich -- Munich, olympic park
Day 2 Munich siteseeing -- train to salzburg -- salzburg old town
Day 3 Salzburg -- Salzburg -- salzburg old town
Day 4 travel to Konigsee -- konigsee lake -- Garmisch
Day 5 Nature hike -- Roam around -- Garmisch
Day 6 Fussen castle -- Drive to Lucerne -- Lucerne
Day 7 Roam around -- Roam around -- Lucerne
Day 8 Drive to black forest -- Roam around -- Blackforest
Day 9 Train to Prague -- Roam around -- Prague
Dy 10 Roam around -- Roam around -- Prague
Dy 11 Fly back

Have the following Qs
1. Prague to Munich - What is the economical way to make travel - w/o pass & w/o prior reservation. My flight can get delayed and hence I am not making prior reservations
2. Is munich olympic park centrally located in? I have some SPG points and will use them at 4 pt shereton in this place
3. Where should I stay in Garmisch - prefer quiet village place in the lap of nature
4. How tough is the drive from Fussen - Lucerne (Switz.) is it doable in 5 hrs? How is the drive?
5. How tough is the drive from Lucerne (Switz.) - blk forrest is it doable in 5 hrs? How is the drive?
6. Where should I stay in black forest - again prefer quiet small village
7. Along the road trips - do you have any suggestions on any specific route to take? Or should I just follow the GPS ?
8. How tough is it to drive - given I know only English? Are the signs easy to understand?
9. Any other inputs will be appreciated?

Thanks again,
Regards,
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:22 AM

If you're starting the trip in Munich why waste a day landing in Prague - do an open jaws ticket into Prague and out of Munich.

And have you figured out anything you want to do? All I see is "roaming around" - which could be window shopping or climbing a mountain.

Also - you are going way too many places for so few days - almost half of your "vacation" will be spend in travel from one place to another.

Separately, not at all sure what Fussen Castle is. Do you mean Neuschwanstein? Or one of the other Mad Ludwig castles?

Finally - to drive in europe you need maps. Good, very detailed paper maps (Michelin are good quality and you should be able to get as any reasonable bookseller). GPS is OK for getting from one place to another - as long as there are no accidents, construction or diversions (although I find them incredibly stupid). But GPS is useless for planning a trip (which you need to do in detail before you even decide on cities and hotels)
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Dear Nytraveler,

by Fussen castle i did mean Neuschwanstein. Not too keen on Mad Ludwig

Roaming around - for Prague/ Munich/ Salzburg/ Lucerne - I meant the architectural stuff (Lucerne - lake and around)

Tx
Aug 2nd, 2012, 10:10 AM
jgg

In my opinion 5 locations in ten days is just too much. You will spend a lot of time traveling from place to place and not enough enjoying the locations. I would start by skipping Lucerne, just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the trip. We did a similar trip - Munich(4 nights)-Prague(4 nights)-Cesky Krumlov (1 night) -Salzburg(4 nights)Fussen(1 night) and one last night in Munich before flying home. We rented a car as we left Munich and used it for the whole trip.
In answer to a few of your questions:
1. It is easy to drive in Germany. Most signs just list the names of the cities so no language problem. Be sure and get a GPS- they are invaluable when driving anywhere you are unfamiliar with. We really like the TomTom.
2. Olympic Park is about 2.5 miles from Marienplatz not too bad as long as your hotel is near a metro stop, but not sure how much else is around there.

Here is a link to my trip report along with pictures and tons of details of what we did on our trip:
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/2012/0...hemia-bretzen/
Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:42 PM

I agree that flying into one location and out of another will save a lot of backtracking time. Munic Olympic park is out at the ehge of town and not a lot to see. If you go to that part of town it is very close to the BMW factory tour and BMW museum. Your time you have scheduled in Munich is pretty short and i would not take the time for the Olympic Part, the Deutsches Museum or even Englisher Garten would be better, depending on the time of year.

It is easy to daytrip on the train from Munich to Salzburg. You might think about that and then pick up the car on the way out of Munich toward Garmish which is pretty close to Mittenwald (the violin maker's village), Ettal Monestary, Schlos Linderhof (Ludwig), Oberammergau, Wiesekirche Neuscwanstein and Hohenschwangau (more Ludwig).

Check Google Maps or ViaMicelin.com for direction to Lucern. Maybe you can swing by Lake Constance (Bodensee) to seen Mainau, Meersburg and Mainau Insel (the flower island).

When you get to Lucern go to the top of Mt Pilatus either up the cog railway side or the ariel cable cars on the other side. If you are there in the summer months the sommerroddelbahn luge ride is half way up the cable car side .... Fun, fun, fun. You would have to pay the cross border drop fee on the car but you might fly home from Zurich.

Search this Thread