Inishmor (Aran Islands) B&B

Old Jun 19th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

Inishmor (Aran Islands) B&B

Any suggestions for nice B&Bs on Inishmor? There are a few on Trip Advisor but they seem a bit pricey for what they are.
Thanks
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 06:35 AM

We stayed at An Crugan and it was fine. Prices may be a bit higher on Insihmor because, for one, there isn't a huge amount of competition.

http://www.ancrugan.com/

Bill
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 09:30 AM

My favorite B&B on Inis Mor is Man of Aran Cottages, http://www.manofarancottage.com. However, they are more remote, closer to Dun Aengus than the port. Another favorite is Kelly House, a leisure ten minute walk from the dock and 2 minutes from Joe Watty's pub, http://www.connemarainformation.com/b&b.inismor.htm. Mary & Stephen are delightful hosts. The rooms were comfortable and the breakfast delicious.

You will find that prices are a bit higher on Inis Mor. That is in part due to their remoteness and the cost of shipping over what is needed to run a lodging facility. It is also, as Bill suggests, due in part to competition or lack there of, although there are quite a few B&Bs on Inis Mor.

Enjoy your time on Inis Mor! If you go up to Dun Aengus, make time for tea or coffee and a sweet at the small cafe just outside the entrance. If you take a van tour, look or ask for Festus O'Flaherty. He will stand you well and show you areas that most van drivers won't. Tell him I recommended him, if you find him, the cowboy gal from arizona, LOL. The food at the American Bar is too pricey, you will get better food across the road, if you like fish & chips, at a more reasonable rate. Pier House would be my recommendation in Kilronan for a good splurge dinner. If you are up to renting a bicycle, don't miss the Black Fort, which is less commercialized than Dun Aengus. It is quite a hike, if you walk it, but I managed to make it there and back with a bum knee and my cane.

Slan Beo,

Bit Devine
Cowboy Craic

Old Jun 19th, 2007, 10:10 AM

My daughter and I stayed at Clai Ban this past March. We were very happy with it. The room was large as B&Bs go and light. It was in the front of the house and had a nice view down to the water. The breakfast was good. It's very conveniently located. And the price was very good, €35 per person at that time of year.

The only drawback was that they don't have direct e-mail. I booked it through Gulliver Ireland. www.gulliver.ie/ At that time of the year, there aren't as many B&Bs open. Everything else I found was either much more expensive or farther out of Kilronin than we wanted to be. So, for our purposes, it was well worth paying the €4 booking fee.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help and info. I'm following up on the B&Bs and will look for Festus O'Flaherty as I explore the island, cowboy girl.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Got a room at Man of Aran Cottages. I like the idea of being out of town. We'll have bikes. Is there anything much around there in the way of pubs? It looks really close to Dun Aengus which is great.

Couldn't reach Clai Ban at all directly. I even had a friend in Dublin try calling and she just got a weird busy type signal. I guess it's really necessary to book them through a booking site. I'm happy with Man of Aran, though. Sounds great. Thanks again Cowboy Craic. I'm noting all your suggestions.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 05:14 PM

You will love Man of Aran Cottages! Please, send my regards to Joseph, Maura and, if she is about, Dee. If you've time, ask Joseph about his gardens and his greenhouse. He is awfully proud of both. They will know how to get in touch with Festus. There isn't a pub close at hand to Man of Aran but they can call for a van to take you to Joe Watty's or one of the other pubs in Kilronan. You will certainly be able to bicycle from Man of Aran to Dun Aengus. There are plenty of bicyclists all over the island. Just be aware that Dun Aengus does get steep in places and a bit shift of foot, tak eyour time walking up and be careful coming down. As well, take plenty of water.

I will look forward to reading your trip report upon your return.

Slan Beo,

Bit