Shopping in Paris

Search

Shopping in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping in Paris

Taking two girls to Paris(25&27)between Christmas and New Years(Thanks to all who helped with my planning!). Where are the best spots to get good clothes for that age group? Any suggestions for spots that maybe sell designer clothes cheaper or antique clothes?
Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 04:55 AM

There are a few places that they will enjoy wandering...

1. Galleries Lafayette and Printemps department stores

2. Along the rue de Rivoli from the Louvre to the Chatelet metro station has lots of shops for the trendy set.

3. On the blvd St Germain in St Germain

4. The Bon Marche department store on the 6th arr.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 05:38 AM

tt
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 06:24 AM

There is a shop on rue Castex - think the name is Tabala but it is a short street and you can find it by wandering - that sells the clothes and shoes worn in fashion shows. My niece snagged there a pair of what she thought were killer shoes (though to me they looked like a torture device) for much less than half of the price in the department stores.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 07:45 AM

Alternatives 18 rue de Roi de Sicilie

Misentroc 12 rue Vavin

Reciproque 88-123 rue de LA Pompe

Designer resale and fashion show clothing
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 08:07 AM

I had good luck at the Bon Marche.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 08:34 AM

In my opinion nothing beats the Galleries Lafayette- don't miss the lingerie and hosiery depts! However, if you don't have a H & M in your city (only a few in US), you should check out the three floored one at the forum mall in Les Halles. It has great prices and the style reminds me of Express, but at much better prices. I found sweaters for under 10E! Also, there is a very trendy place just across and around the corner from Lafayette Galleries called Zara which I loved (a bit more pricey than H & M). The only negative for some with these two suggestions is that the sizes don't seem to come any larger than an American Large (14-16) which usually translates to XL at these places.

I am going back late March and I can't wait to go shopping!
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Offbeat suggestion but interesting idea for this age group is Clignacourt Flea market.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 12:03 PM

The Marais!!!!

For example...sexy well prices shirts at Rayure:

http://www.mcdougalladventures.com/france/paris-rayure

Take a walk along rue des Francs-Bourgeois in the Marais to find really unique pieces.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 07:35 AM

Hi Mom...This is from my June 2005 Paris Trip Report...Enjoy!

MARAIS BOUTIQUES:

1) KESSLORD: I loved the leather handbags here, all beautiful and well-priced. I purchased a bag here for 110 euros that I currently use everyday, and get many strangers looking at it on the metro, etc. It is a handbag that has an interesting texture, which looks like it could be snake/python skin, but is actually painted leather. (I don’t know if they have this label in NYC; I haven’t seen it yet.) The salesgirl was very friendly;

2) ANNICK B.: Pretty, minimalist silver jewelry. The jewelry designer’s name is “Sidney Carron” (speeling?) I found some great silver earrings here – long, a simple design – but very beautiful. The saleslady was very sweet. 30 euros for earrings;

3) TARZITA: A small boutique run by a nice, young Japanese woman. Japanese-inspired designs with a modern twist. I fell in love with a beautiful lavender-coloured half-sweater, very feminine and flattering for the neck and shoulders. I’M REALLY FALLING IN LOVE WITH KNITS: knit summer dresses, knit skirts…I think Japanese designers do knits very well. 135 euros for one-of-a-kind knit;

4) BARBARA BUI: Speaking of knits…Barbara Bui had a beautiful, light-beige, full-length knit dress in their window, very sexy, but OUCH! 675 euros was too much. Maybe I can find a similar dress somewhere for much less. Nice merchandise, but overly pricey;

5) CREA CONCEPT: Pretty sweaters/blouses in some avant-garde designs. My Italian family loved this pale-pink sweater-knit with wrap design that I purchased for my mother. Nice girls working here. 135 euros for the blouse;

6) MELLOW YELLOW: A store with feminine and trendy shoes (for teens, 20s and anyone who likes flirty shoes). Fair prices -- Are they made in France??! -- I bought a pair of pale-pink leather flats which resemble ballet slippers. 69 euros – a deal in this pricey neighborhood!;

7) L’ECLAIREUR: I had heard a lot about this boutique, but I did not like the merchandise displayed in the window. It looked too “earthy” for me, with a lot of dark browns and forest greens. Just not my style.

8) PAOLA FRANI: Again, not really my style. Found the overall look kind of "heavy." (Wasn’t crazy about the fabrics they use in their clothes.)

9) PAULE KA: Charming, well-tailored clothes. Pricey. Reminds me of a funkier agnes b. (Did not find anything here, but definitely worth a look.)

BOUTIQUES IN OTHER NEIGHBORHOODS:

1) VANESSA BRUNO (with branches all over Paris): Beautiful, unique blouses, shoes and lingerie. Very Parisian. Nice tailoring and colours. Soft and feminine, but with an edge. Pricey. They now carry her line in Saks Fifth Avenue (NYC). This is a good place to find that one-of-a-kind piece that you splurge on to energize your wardrobe. I did not buy anything in the Parisian boutique, but will keep an eye on her pieces in the future;

2) PAUL et JOE (6th arr.): Young, cute and sporty. I did not see anything that stood out when I was in their store, but it seemed very popular with young Parisians. I have also seen their merchandise at Saks Fifth Avenue;

3) STELLA CADENTE (6th arr.): Some pretty dresses. This is where I bumped into French actress Julie Delpy. I did not find anything there, but would definitely keep the label in mind for the future. Feminine, unique styles. Medium-pricey;

4) CLAUDIE PIERLOT (6th arr.): I bought a wonderful top of CP in a rich mauve colour from Barney’s Co-Op in NYC. It is soft, pretty and modern. (I did not find anything in the Paris store though.);

5) MARCEL MONTORGIU (spelling?): Was recommended to me by a Parisian lady. I did not have any luck here. Seemed more conservative than I expected.

PARIS DEPARTMENT STORES:

Well, I think it may be a sign that I am getting older or something, but I DO NOT LIKE TO SHOP IN LARGE DEPARTMENT STORES ANYMORE. They are so big and crazy – I get a headache whenever I enter one. They take a lot of time and patience to explore. I entered Galeries Lafayette and was overwhelmed. I left soon after. As I approached KENZO, the same feeling occurred: It just felt like OVERLOAD (which is a shame because I was curious about the KENZO store)! I did not even attempt BON MARCHE because I knew I would boderline-pass-out!

Also, I did not have the time to look for lingerie on this trip (sniff!). Maybe next time…

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 08:46 AM

I agree with betty, the large dept stores are a jungle. Galleries Lafayette and Printemps are huge and full of merchandise, people and endless escalators. The are fun anyway.

The Marais is a nice place to shop because you feel like you are in a village.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 01:29 PM

The chain store Zara seems to be aimed at that age group. I had great fun on Rue Alesia at the "stock" shops. They are outlets for designer names and there are a bunch down there in the 14th. If you are into shopping, I highly recommend the Suzy Gershman "Born To Shop" series. She has great tips fro shopping, "window licking" (idiomatique for window shopping!), snacks along the way, etc... Fun reading.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 02:57 PM

Thanks for this great thread! My teenaged daughter and are looking forward to shopping in Paris next June!
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 04:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
There are stores for young women's clothes all along the rue de Rennes between St. Germain and Montparnasse. You can start at the Tour Montparnasse, where there is a shopping mall with several such stores, and work your way up the rue de Rennes. My college aged daughter found several things this way. There is an H&M, Kookai, and several more whose names I have forgotten.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 04:25 AM

Yes, for younger gals...Kookai is a good option.

Don't forget to treat YOURSELF to something nice!
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 07:34 AM

Wow, what great advice.

A quick question:

What street(s) in the Marais should we focus on for that "charming village" feel and all those great shops Betty mentioned?

Thanks again!
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 07:58 AM

Dina,

The Marais is such a wonderful neighborhood that you should allow yourself to explore ALL the streets. It is easy to walk around.

I think it is also a great area in which to stay, because there are endless boutiques, restaurants, galleries and bars to discover.

A great source is "Time Out: Paris." Enjoy getting lost there!
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 02:30 PM

I second Betty in her recommendation of the Time Out Paris guide. You will not find a better city guide (IMHO) for shops, restaurants and information.

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Thanks so much. I will pick up a Time Out: Paris guide.
I only asked for streets to focus in case we are pressed for time. It sounds like the whole area is lovely.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 02:55 PM

Indeed it is. You will want to get off the Rue de Rivioli and on to the many side streets. It's hard to give you specific streets other than check out Bettyo's list of addresses for shops, because once you're there, you see that it is a nice, small, easy area to shop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -