Information on Russia

Old Jul 5th, 1999, 09:51 AM
Kuriakose

Information on Russia

Folks! I am planning to visit Russia in the first week of August. I am somewhat concerned about the crime situation there. If you have advice, please let me know.

Old Jul 5th, 1999, 07:53 PM
Peter

it's safe, unless you going to some of the southern parts. I've been to Moscow, Sochi and Maykop month ago (during the kosovo war) and had no problems. Places were packed with turists, most speaking english. The biggest crime are the taxies which will charge as much as double as for what you would pay in NYC for the same distance /trip. Always negotiate a price before getting in to any taxi. Search this forum (moscow/russia) for more info.

Old Jul 5th, 1999, 09:21 PM
April

My husband's son is over there at this very moment (leaving Moscow for St. Petersberg). He emailed this morning and didn't mention any concern about crime. He just said it was a place to visit, not to live.

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 01:12 PM
Peter

Yeah I don't think many of us would like to live in a place where average monthly pay is around $200, and prices not much lower then in USA. Despite the hardship people are still are very nice, especcially to the foreigners. You will enjoy your stay.

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 05:36 PM
topper

!

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 05:14 AM
topper

!

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 08:58 PM
Merry

I have lived as an American in Moscow for the past year, and I can tell you that Moscow is a pretty safe place in which to live. I do not know of anyone who has had any serious problems as a result of crime. It is much safer than many cities in the US, including DC and NYC. I would absolutely not let fear of crime deter anyone from coming to visit northern Russia.

Old Aug 7th, 1999, 05:35 PM
wendy

as a woman siteseeing alone during the day i never felt in danger. i have scarier moments in my hometown of columbus ohio. there is so much history staring you in the face. you definately don't have to look for it. i enjoyed the kgb museum. take some cash on the tour of the zhovotov trays, but don't spend it all there. they will take you down the street after the tour to a home of one of the artists that you will definately want some trays from. it is in his home and will only take cash. i was so mad at myself for not know thisand not putting more money aside. you must also take the metro to ismalasky park. it is a giant flea market and filled with many resonably priced souveniers for all your friends. i went twice! the metro are very easy. familiarize yourself with their alphabet and it will be a piece of cake. i went without my family and i am looking forward to returning and showing them around. go to the armoury in the kremlin. they have a wonderful display of catherine the greats things and of fabregue eggs.