Info on possible Italia Rail Strike?

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 07:19 AM
sandi

Info on possible Italia Rail Strike?

Since I'm leaving Saturday, and plan to take the train the first half of the trip, can anyone tell me the best way to get the latest on the possible strike? Thanks!

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 05:50 AM
sandi

I'll try this once more! I know I can't be the only one out there that's about to leave for Italy and have planned to use the train!!!! Any websites that you know of that might be able to help with the current state of affairs? Thanks.

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 07:51 AM
Paulo

I don't know of any site that informs on train strikes sistematically. I do read some online news quite often and haven't seen anything on train strikes in he past few days. Of course, a train strike is no big news in Italy and online news usually only care about the headlines (like the current flooding in the northwest).

Santachiara (if listening) would be in a better position to hand out reliable info.

Paulo

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 08:25 AM
SharonM

Just called RailEurope to check, and they have heard nothing about an Italian rail strike...just mudslides in Switzerland...

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 10:07 AM
Paul

You can sometimes find information about strikes in Italy at: <http://www.iht.com/IHT/LOCAL/index.html>. Click on "Italy Daily", then click on Page 2, and look under the headline "Travel Updates".

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 10:39 AM
Walter

Hi Sandi: After receiving your e-mail I tried pulling-up any info on future Italian train strikes in the search engines with no luck. Also I read this group, rec.travel.europe, Lonely Planet, and Frommers daily and no one has mentioned a strike. But on 10/13 "Brenda" posted here under "Italian Train Strike Due On Oct 18..." about an article in the Boston Globe which "David" later "cut and pasted" in his reply. It seems that this AP reporter in Rome mentioned in her article that "Next Wednesday, it will be Italy' trains". I beginning to believe that this reporter might be wrong, as I'm sure by now someone else would have mentioned it *somewhere*. Besides even if they strike tomorrow don't these strikes only last a few hours or just 1 day (Paulo?) and then everythings back to normal? Have a wonderful trip and don't worry, I'm sure everything will turn out fine. Regards, Walter

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 11:02 AM
Paulo

Yes, Walter, most of the FS workers strikes are either meant as a worning (during negotiations) or eventually on support of other unions. These strikes are of short duration and not necessarily hit the whole network or the whole timetable. Longer strikes are rare and only occur when there's a deadlock in negotiations.

Paulo

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 11:11 AM
sandi

Bless you, bless you. I don't know about you guys, but right before a trip I get a little nervous. I guess, unless that I hear that it's a major strike, I'll assume that we'll be able to catch the train as planned. Otherwise, we'll rent a car at the airport! Mille grazie !

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 12:09 PM
Joanne

I posted on railroad strikes just about a week ago. They went "on strike" the day we were trying to go from Nice to Florence and beyond to Rome. The strikes are erratic - sometimes the trains run and sometimes they don't. No one, and I mean no one, can give you information. Even if you call the station, they will say there is no guarantee. We were with our children and had hotel reservations so we rented a car - at greater expense than had we rented it ahead of time. Also our Europasses were not refundable due to the strike. Having a car in the countryside was great fun.

Old Oct 19th, 2010, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, this is some useful information i.e. rail strike. We are about to fly out in the next 24 hours from Cape Town to Milan and have a meeting in Bolzano this Friday. The meeting organiser just mailed us with news of a transportation reported strike. Hope to have no hiccups.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 05:20 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Useful? This thread is ten years old. If you want to avoid problems, book a strike proof train.
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep this link handy: it's the most up to date info you'll find, and even though it's in Italian, it's fairly comprehensible. Keep in mind that strikes can be cancelled at the last minute (this calendar will reflect those updates):

http://www.mit.gov.it/mit/site.php?p=scioperi

or

http://tinyurl.com/italianstrikecalendar