Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Inflatable neck pillows potentially fatal to airline passengers??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Tania

Just found this on the BBC site, and it strikes me as um...somewhat "inflated" in its claims. <BR><BR>http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_2129000/2129811.stm<BR><BR>(ie-take a look at the circumstances that would need to be in place for the inflatable pillow to be dangerous. Also read the claims of its danger that have absolutely zero foundation in fact. Strikes me as nothing more than an irresponsible media scare.) Anyone have a take on the article?<BR><BR>tania

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Lucy

Wow, how ridiculous!! I completely agree Tania - very irresponsible, sensationalist journalism!! If a window was to blow out on a plane mid flight, I think my neck cushion blowing up my face would be the least of my concerns!! ;-)<BR>Having said that, I don't inflate mine fully anyway simply because I find it more comfortable if is has a bit of spare room to 'give'.<BR>Now if only they could research something useful...like the impact on our long term health of eating those bland, non-descript, unrecognisable meals that often get served up in economy class????

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 05:58 PM
s.fowler

Lucy -- I'm with you!<BR>I think if conditions were such that my inflatable pillow were choking me I'd have bigger problems than that!<BR>On the other hazards -- you can not eat the meals -- but you can't not breathe the under-refreshed air in the plane cabin.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Jim Rosenberg

It appears that the fellow in the story who is raising the issue is also (AMAZING coincidence here!) someone who has come up with a special valve to alleviate this horribly important problem. If it saves one life, it's got to be worth it right? And if it doesn't, well... he still does okay, right? ;-)

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:34 PM
xxx

I'm sure that it's only we cattle who use neck pillows. Those in 1st & business classes don't need to worry.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 02:39 AM
yertu

jeez there is some crap out there!!!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Jurgen

When you have finally abused the flight attendents enough and they reach the breaking poine and jump on your chest and smother you with your neck pillow then yes, they are fatal. Other than that not much risk in using one.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 06:35 AM
carol

The warnings regarding the perils of using inflatable neck supports on planes are undoubtedly the product of an otherwise good brain tragically damaged when this former pilot kept his tie knotted a bit too firmly during his last flight. He neglected to point out the even more severe risks associated with swallowing the pillows, or filling them with flammable gases, or tying the deflated pillow around one's neck, or smoking it in one's pipe. The potential dangers have motivated me to begin a thriving new business creating warning labels for these little killers. I encourage you all to purchase stock in this up and coming enterprise.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Lawyer Sam

Carol<BR>that is a splendid idea. However, you forget to warn about the stealth pillow.<BR><BR>"WARNING: This neck pillow may sneak up on you while you are sleeping and attach itself to your nostrils and mouth, thus creating a difficult breathing situation. Use of this pillow while sleeping may lead to serious injuries and even death. Failure to follow the attached instructions may cause this pillow to revert to stealth mode and may lead to suffocation. Use of this pillow by children of any age, adults, the elderly, and the mentally infirm is strongly discouraged. Any such use will be construed as a violation of proper pillow utilization and will void any and all warranties, real or implied. It is suggested that this pillow only be used when fully awake and in a fully upright position. Use while in a reclined position and/or during sleep may result in serious bodily harm and/or death. It is also advisable to not allow seatmates to use this pillow, as during sleep the pillow may attach itself to the nostrils and mouth of all persons in the entire seat row and cause a great amount of moaning and groaning, leading to arrest by the sky marshalls."

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Sue

The last time around, I inflated my pillow while we were still on the ground, and the pressure of the air inside the pillow wound up being (slightly) higher than the cabin pressure once we ascended. The result? The thing sprung a leak. In other words, the neck pillow - not me - died.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Sue

Oops, got my foot - or was that my pillow - in my mouth. Let me try again: Because I had inflated my pillow on the ground, at ground pressure, the VOLUME of the air inside the pillow wound up slightly increasing once we ascended. At least, it did until it took the path of least resistance - either through a pinhole or the valve, not sure which.<BR><BR>If you don't jam the valve in too tightly, air will escape out the valve in such a situation long before it expands to the point the 'expert' claims.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 01:19 PM
ttttt

topping

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 08:57 AM
topper

funny

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Janet

Back in the 70's a window blew out on an aircraft and a passenger was sucked out of the plane. Let's ban windows!<BR><BR>Good Grief!