Does USAir really suck that much?

Jan 25th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Does USAir really suck that much?

I've been given a cheaper roundtrip Philadelphia/Madrid airfare (with Albany, NY transfers) with USAir than with other airlines. But some on the forum really hate USAir. Is it that bad?
Jan 25th, 2011, 07:18 AM

If you think everybody else's airline experience, both bad and good, is going to reflect your own then what airline are you going to use?

I can guarantee you that you can name just about any airline anywhere and SOMEBODY is going to tell you a horror story about it.

I've had good and not so good experiences with USAirways..the last one was when some jerk sitting in front of me in First Class actually turned around and wanted to put his rather large briefcase under HIS seat...I hope that wasn't you!
Jan 25th, 2011, 07:20 AM

Yes, the only cool thing is the sweat suit the flight attendands have to wear. Looks comfy.
Jan 25th, 2011, 07:20 AM

I've had several perfectly fine overseas trips on USAirways, and a couple of prettygood ones. Mind you, as a coach flyer, I don't have expectations of luxury or fine cusine. Or for that matter, actual comfort.

My feeling has always been that if I arrive in the city I booked, on the day and at roughly the time I expected, I'm content.

I do think that on any given day, a flier can have an awful flight, for whatever reason, on any airline.

Good luck with your trip!
Jan 25th, 2011, 07:22 AM

ohh, the "d" this is bad. Really bad.
Jan 25th, 2011, 07:24 AM

If you're flying coach, it doesn't make a bit of difference.

The only thing I try to avoid is going through Chicago.
Jan 25th, 2011, 07:28 AM

It's a US based airline, therefore the suck level is really high.

That said, check seatguru.com for the type of plane, the seat configuration, the room of the seats, AND the onboard amenities. AA tends to be one of the worst for the latter -- it flies a bunch of 757s and 767s internationally that complement their lack of room and lack of comfort with overhead monitors showing crap movies and no personal seatback video options.
Jan 25th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

pavot:

Your mindset with regard to flying coach pretty much matches mine. No great expectations. I'm inclined to agree with dukey also that any airline for any particular flight can get an awful review. Finally, it all comes to: "Ya take yer chances." (And, no, dukey, it wasn't me who bothered you in first class; I can't afford a first class seat.)
Jan 25th, 2011, 07:45 AM

Any American airline gouges the customers by constantly shrinking seat space, thinking up new fees to gouge customers, offering cheaper food, raising prices etc. etc. They're all the same IMO. if I had my choice I'd fly British Airways or Virgin, (are they still in business?)
Jan 25th, 2011, 07:57 AM

I find that US Air's international flights are much better than their domestic flights.I have flown both economy and business, domestic and international. Even business class on domestic flight was like being in a bus but the their international was fine, not as good as United or Continental but fine for the price. And the International Terminal in Philadelphia is very nice.
Jan 25th, 2011, 08:04 AM

This flight is on a US A330-300. By all accounts, this is not a comfortable plane. Were it on the new A330-200s, those get much better reviews - the biz seats, in particular, look very compelling (I think they are similar to the seats Cathay is launching).

US has a bad reputation, but they have worked on the concrete items (on-time performance, luggage handling, cancellations, etc.), with some success. Their "soft product" still has its detractors, so I wouldn't expect much from the food or 'service'.

Depending upon the savings, I would consider US, but go in with low expectations, to avoid disappointment.

Any American airline gouges the customers by constantly shrinking seat space,

True, but no European carrier is any better, and some are worse. For example, both BA and Lufthansa offer 31" of pitch on most of their long-haul fleet, which is as bad or worse than any US carrier. Both Air France and KLM have 10-abreast 777s, while all US carriers go 9-abreast.

raising prices etc. etc.

Airfares remain incredibly cheap. The average coach seat is probably sold pretty darn close to cost. I'm not sure what people expect to pay and, frankly, I shake my head at complaints about service or quality when they are accompanied by complaints about price.
Jan 25th, 2011, 08:04 AM

No it doesn't.
Jan 25th, 2011, 08:22 AM

Also, unless they've changed things recently, Philadelphia is a hub for USAir, which IMO helps improve things somewhat in their favor.

(I'm in the camp that coach is coach... My only experiences with USAir have been domestic, no complaints other than I wish I could magically be in first class LOL.)
Jan 25th, 2011, 08:56 AM

The food coach for intnl flights is truly horrendous. We're talking inedible. Don't hesitate to take US Air, but pack your own food.
Jan 25th, 2011, 08:58 AM

We flew them overseas in 2009. Seats were small, as with any coach seat. We each had a personal TV on the seat in front of us which was great. Flights were ontime. Flight attendants were nice. Food was good going there, not so good coming home. Overall I would fly them again.
Jan 25th, 2011, 08:59 AM

LOL..are you joking??? I got that seat in First Class because I was bumped up due to my Star Alliance status...I rarely pay for First Class seats with "real" money.

As to a US-based carrier having a "high" suck level...believe me, I've flown on SEVERAL non US-based carriers and believe you me, those Europeans KNOW how to suck when they do it.
Jan 25th, 2011, 09:00 AM

I would love to be annoying in first class

Coach sucks. There's no getting around it.
Jan 25th, 2011, 09:28 AM

I recently flew US Air from Frankfurt to Philadelphia and Philadelphia to Rome---another was Amsterdam/Philadelphia route. On the Amsterdam/Phil route there was an excellent crew. Other flights were fine as in ok.

These were coach flights and my seats were ok---the Phil/Rome has video on demand the Amsterdam did not which was annoying. I usually fly AIr France so having to pay for headsets and a glass of wine on International was a surprise--an unpleasant one and I am not even a heavy drinker!

I dislike the Philadelphia airport so if at all possible I try and avoid it. Basically I find US Air no better or no worse than others.....
Jan 25th, 2011, 01:48 PM

wanderful, I fly international out of PHL two or three times a year on USAir, coach seats alas but aside from the food have been satisfied with the travel experience. PHL does have some decent restaurants in Terminals A & B so I have a much better meal before I get on the plane than I'll receive inflight. Checking seatguru is always a good idea!! Deborah
Jan 25th, 2011, 07:53 PM

Agree with those who say that USAirways is no better or worse than others. Here in Pgh. USAirways (until we lost hub status) was the only show in town, so we flew it to CDG for years, often through PHL. Recently we've gotten a non-stop on Delta, and actually the USAirways Airbus is more comfortable than Delta's 757.

And yeah, coach is coach.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO