Inexperienced traveler needs HELP

May 19th, 2002, 08:30 AM
dj

Inexperienced traveler needs HELP

I am going to Hungary for habitat for humanity and would like to see some more of Europe on the way. I will be flying in and out of Amsterdam and traveling by train, and any suggestions on what not to miss will be helpful. I would most appreciate suggestions on clean inexpensive places to stay along the way.

May 19th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Uncle Sam

DJ,

Hope your work with Habitat goes well!

Could you share with us a little bit about your interests. Amsterdam to Budapest covers a lot of territory.

How much time do you have?

What countries interest you?

Do you like art or history?

ETC

US

May 19th, 2002, 08:58 AM
dj

I'm planning on passing through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany,Austria and maybe Liechtenstein. I'll have 5 days each way. I'm traveling in June and more interested in history, but can't go to europe without seeing some art museums and churches.

May 19th, 2002, 09:04 AM
jenviolin

See Amsterdam, Antwerp or Brussels, Cologne, Berlin, Munich, Vienna. Add Prague.

May 19th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Uncle Sam

DJ,

I would suggest the following to get a real quick taste of a number of areas. This will work if you can stay one night at each place to get a glimpse, then determine where you like the most and go there on your return.

On the way to Budapest consider this itnerary:

1. Arrive Amsterdam and travel to Brugges Belgium a remarkable medieval city called the Venice of the North.

2. Then take train to Cologne, Germany. Be certain to visit the cathedral to view the incredible stained glass. Same day, then take the KD boat or the train down the Rhine. A lot of vineyards and castles. Suggest a quick stop at St. Goar and possibly Mainz.

4. Then travel the Romantice Strasse with a stop in Rothenberg ob der Tauber, an incredible walled medieval city and on to Munich.

5. From there to Hungary by train.

US

May 19th, 2002, 04:58 PM
dj

Anybody else have any suggestions or hotel recommendations