Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam to Budapest Trip - Ideas for 2-3 weeks?

Old Jun 14th, 2017, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can fly directly back to Paris in just a few hours from Budapest, I'm pretty sure. So it doesn't seem too far away for me. If you don't wan to fly, then sure, it is probably kind of far to come back to if starting in Amsterdam. Still, if you've already been to Czech and Austria, training trough them may not make a lot of sense if you have no wish to stop and see things again.

I would default to trains (and buses when required) and not driving, but I love trains, and European countries tend to have excellent train systems. (German train tickets tend to be pricey for last-minute purchases, however.)

I'd pick up a Germany guidebook and browse and see which cities appeal to you. Look on a Google Map, plotting a course between Amsterdam and Berlin, and see what looks interesting. Browse Germany trip reports here and elsewhere. That's pretty much what I did in 2014 when planning a two week trip through Germany. I was originally going to start in Amsterdam too but wound up flying into/out of Paris instead. I didn't really fall in love with Germany so might not unusual recommendations for you, but it should be easy to fill three weeks between Amsterdam and Budapest.
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 01:11 PM

I went on a month-long trip to Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, Budapest, Krakow, Prague, Dresden, and Berlin. All by train. Averaged 2-3 days in each city (5 in Prague). I think you can easily visit 5 cities in about 3 weeks since you have to account for travel between cities. Start by plotting out all the cities to determine your route.

I really enjoyed Munich and loved Dresden. Not as much a fan of Berlin (too spread out for me). Budapest was nice but didn't stand out very much. I loved Krakow, please consider it!

I wrote blog posts for my travels - a post for each country, full of photos, itinerary, places we visited, and recommendations. Here's the one for Hungary (other countries are linked from that post):
https://fanofblank.blogspot.com/2017...d-amusing.html

Enjoy trip planning!
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 01:59 PM

Flying into Amsterdam in Sept. , and will stay there for a few days. From there to Germany and Ultimately Budapest, flying out of Paris after a few days there. Haven't been there for some years, and never in summer.

Would like ideas of where to stay and visit for a few days along the way, and if it would be best by car or train?

Would like to visit German towns with character (also Berlin for museums) along the way, been to Czech rep and Slovakia, so no need to revisit those locations, same with Austria. Maybe Budapest too out of the way, to have to return to Paris from??

Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 12:26 AM

Cars are good for exploring countryside, villages and small towns, not good for cities where they become a liability.

Just take the train between cities:

German Railways www.bahn.de/en for Amsterdam to Germany, within Germany and Germany to neighbouring countries.

Czech Railways www.cd.cz/eshop for Munich to Prague, Prague to Bratislava or Budapest.

You can easily go Budapest-Zurich-Paris by train, see https://www.seat61.com/international...Budapest-Paris

For example:

Book the direct Budapest-Zurich sleeper express at www.mavcsoport.hu from €49 with couchette or from €89 with a bed in a cosy 2-bed sleeper, see

Book Zurich-Paris from €29 upwards in 4h05 by 200mph TGV-Lyria at www.trainline.eu