Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

twentysomething-1 month in Europe - itinerary help please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have done some research and reading online...staying in hostels using hostelworld.com will do Greece with contiki in June and then on to Italy and Spain with a friend...have already done France....the first month I am solo using Eurail..landing in Amsterdam or Frankfurt..planned Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Munich maybe 3-4 days in each doing daytrips from there...I need to fly into Athens on the 28th of May to hook up with contiki...suggestions for places that I should make a point of going to...Switzerland? any other places in Germany?
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 01:48 PM

If I'm reading this right, I'm assuming you plan to see Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Budapest, Vienna, and Munich in a month's time. You could easily spend a week each in Amsterdam, Berlin, Vienna, and Munich depending on how in-depth you want to get seeing museums and doing day trips. 3-4 days is about right for Prague and 4-5 for Budapest if you're thorough. (I've been to Amsterdam, Prague, and Vienna and have researched the other three.) I wouldn't add on other places in a month's time, myself -- you've got plenty enough great destinations as it is, and perhaps not sufficient time to do all six of these in detail.

You'll just have to plan to come back to Europe another time, most likely. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 03:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Dear Horatio,

It all depends on what you are interested in seeing and doing. Some young people like to hit a lot of cities, check out the nightlife, and move on. We had a recent grad report on here a year or two ago who really wanted to see some specific places esp. in terms of his Jewish heritage. He did share his partying with us (he was very funny actually) but also some pretty thoughtful things he did as well.

Take some time to think about what you want out of the trip. What do you like - for instance Switzerland has some great hiking and Berlin has some amazing history to see. What interests you?

With more specific details, you will find Fodor's a very good place to come for suggestions on itineraries, things to see, where to eat/drink.

In any event, I love the list you made. You have chosen some pretty fun and interesting cities and I have enjoyed everyone of them. I hope you will too. ( I would not spend 5 days in Budapest, however, but that is just me...)
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 05:42 PM

Pop over to Thorntree, the Lonely Planet forum. Can't have too many information sources and the demographic is closer to your own. Not that the information here isn't good, just that more posters who'll have experience of hostelling, Eurail and partying, in the last few of years, will be available to share experiences. Hope you have a great trip.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Oops..did not realize I had responses...thanks for the advice...