Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

inexpensive romantic restaurants in pairs?

Nov 26th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Original Poster

My boyfriend and I will be in Paris for 6 days in Dec, and I would like to take him to a nice inexpensive/reasonable restaurant, preferably with a nice view!

any suggestions? we'll be staying in the 6e.
Nov 27th, 2007, 12:39 AM

You might want to repost so that people understand that you mean Paris, not pairs. I thought you were going to a romantic restaurant with another couple.
Nov 27th, 2007, 06:34 AM
ira

Hi D,

What's your budget?

What is "romantic"?

View of what?

Are you willing to travel across town?

Nov 27th, 2007, 06:51 AM

These two have been discussed recently. But as others have stated, without a budget given...

www.cieldeparis.com
www.lesombres-restaurant.com

Also have the two restos on the Eiffel Tower: Jules Vernes and Altitude 95.

If view is tantamount, you could do a Seine dinner cruise. Food is rated as average, but the views...

Nov 27th, 2007, 09:54 AM
tod

Dashiell - You didn't stipulate whether this would be lunch or dinner but if you want cheap and the most awesome view of the city of Paris at your feet I reckon you can chance it at the cafeteria on the top of Montparnasse! The food I was served was delicious, didn't cost an arm & a leg, and I had all the time in the world to gaze at Paris below.

Michel_Paris suggested Le Ciel - that restaurant is on the same floor but costs 100 (if not more) times!
Nov 27th, 2007, 10:49 AM

tod - is the Tour Montparnasse cafeteria on the 56th floor, where you come out of the elevator to go further up to the observation deck? (so you don't need a ticket, just tell the guard you want the cafe only?)
Nov 27th, 2007, 11:28 AM

travelnut, I've been to the top of Montparnasse, and it isn't free no matter what. You don't have to tell anyone anything, as the ticket to go to the top is the same price whether you buy anything in the cafeteria or not. It is a little expensive, but I enjoyed it, and you can linger with a cup of coffee if you want. You can't get up there free if you don't go to the roof, if that's what you are asking, the price is for the top floor or the roof. Some people don't even want to go to the roof (I did, but was not that crazy about it as I don't like heights that are open, it gives me anxiety). I wouldn't take little kids up there, either, that's for sure. The stairs to go up to the roof are kind of steep, also, as I recall.

The cafeteria isn't really a dining destination, it's just there to make money from folks who go up for the view. I don't remember if they even had much -- sort of like that cafeteria on the roof of Samaritaine. The area where the cafeteria is located is considered part of the panoramic visit that you pay for.
Nov 27th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

oops so sorry! i meant restaurants in paris.

budget would be about 50euros per person?

romantic, as in, no kids running around i would think, somewhere with a nice ambience.

view of the city, view of the eiffel tower, view of the seine?

either dinner or lunch, we would probably go to a few. recommend away
Nov 28th, 2007, 01:05 AM

Kids don't "run around' in french restaurants ;-)

If it happened, and that's an "if" as I haven't seen it myself, I assume it would severely be frowned upon.

Anyway, you'll find many many restaurants for that budget but unfortunately, that + a great view might be a little to ask for as views, as in any city, are expensive.

Nov 28th, 2007, 04:18 AM
tod

50 euros pp - now that's not what I call inexpensive, probably moderate so that definitely takes you away from the cafeteria scene Dashiell!

What about the resto in the Trocadero with a killer view of the Eiffel Tower??? Sorry, don't recall the name and don't have my trusty Paris guide with me at the moment - perhaps someone else could help out.

Travelnut - yes that's the floor - I didn't even know one could go right onto the rooftop else I would have.
About the food there: There was a middle -age gentleman doing everything . \ Serving tables and preparing the food. Could see he had everything under control but then it was a quiet time when I was there.
I had a generous portion of the most delicious quiche with a side salad. Don't think there was wine but could have been. Tables just the usual snackbar panellite but everything squeeky clean. Only wished the tables were near the glass so one could look down whilst eating. Nice lunchtime place.
Nov 28th, 2007, 05:22 AM
ira

Hi D,

The Cafeteria at the Musee D'Orsay is nice for lunch, but it is a bit crowded.

We like the
Plateau Royal 2 pers 92.40€ at www.petitzinc.com/

www.vagenende.fr/us/index.html is nice if you like Art Nouveau settings

In warm weather, the terrace at www.la-mediterranee.com/index1.htm
is nice. 32E menu.

Nov 28th, 2007, 06:05 AM

I can recommend the restaurant above the Dalloyau chocolatier across from Luxembourg Gardens. There's a very nice view of the gardens and the flowery traffic circle in front of it. It's not the Eiffel Tower, but it's quite lovely. They serve lunch and tea and early dinners. Open from 9 to 7:30 everyday. You should be able to eat easily within your price range. www.dalloyau.fr/luxembourg Perhaps you could make a reservation for a window seat.

Also, no view, but the upstairs dining room at Laduree (rue royale location) is charming. A bit like eating in a little jewel box. Similar hours as dalloyau.

As you can see, I'm a fan of tea salons for elegant, affordable meals. They tend to serve quiches and salads and roast chicken. I had a very good piece of salmon with lentils at dalloyau.
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Nice summary of Paris Restaurants here:

http://www.travelsavvy-paris.com/cit...+Out&image=374
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:09 AM

Not sure why my link isn't working. But you can do a search on both dalloyau and laduree.
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:27 AM

Somebody wrote a trip report on Paris, talking about the restaurant at Trocadero. She like it a lot

Le Cafe de L'Homme

located in the Musee de l'Homme. Views of Eiffel. Their website seems to be down.
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:51 AM
tod

Michel_ Paris - that's the one I was trying to think of when posting to Dahiell!
Thanks for the name. It looks really nice so we will have lunch/dinner there next year.
Nov 28th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Tod,
For some reason, I'm starting to create a spreadsheet of Paris restaurants.
I think one of the reasons I love going is planning where to eat. There have been some good restaurant reviews here that were enjoyable to read, including the one on Les Hommes. Like you, hoping to go next year.

Bon appetit,
Mike
Nov 28th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Some pages on the Cafe de l'Homme website are not working, but here's the menu in English:

http://www.lecafedelhomme.com/2%20Ca...ais%202005.htm
Nov 28th, 2007, 11:25 AM

How about Le Cafe Marly at the Louvre?

http://www.reservation-francehotels....ly--paris.html
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

i think i have enough restaurants to last my last whole trip! i've noted some a trip report from a fellow fodorite and hopefully i will find a gem or two by accident along the way.

i heard laduree macarooons are to die for, i cant wait to get my hands on those for sure!

also, is it absolutely necessary to make reservations in advance? my boyfriend is pretty fickle, and doesn't like to stick to a rigid schedule.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO