Inexpensive Edinburgh hotel suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I'm looking for suggestions for an inexpensive hotel in central Edinburgh. Under £75 for a single would be good. Ideally walking distance from the Royal Mile. I'll be there in July. Which is another question - when do things gear up for the August festival? If I'm there in mid July (around the 15-20th) will things still be relatively "normal"? Thanks
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:20 PM

The Apex Hotels in the Grassmarket are the ones I usually recommend to people coming to Edinburgh (www.apexhotels.co.uk/edinburgh_hotels_city) but I'm honestly not sure what their prices are. However, the location can't be beat as you're just below the castle and a short 5 minute walk over to the Royal Mile.

Things start gearing up for the Festival early in July, and by August, the city is packed. "Normal" is a somewhat relative thing in a festival city, but by mid July you'll already see the early crush of the tourist crowds. Not unmanageable, but you won't be alone!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:30 PM

The first festival - there are several - is the Jazz festival which normally starts in the last week of July, for 2007 it's 27th July to 5th August.

The one everyone means when they say "Festival" is the Fringe which is going to be 5th to 27th August in 2007

The original (more classical) festival is 10th August to 2nd September this year.

Then there's the Arts Festival, the TV Festival, the Film Festival and the Book Festival - plus of course the Tattoo which is on during August

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Isabel:

For a budget hotel close to everything, I would suggest The Hotel Greenside on Royal Terrace (area of old townhouses on a hill overlooking the city). Don't expect The Four Seasons...but adequate and cheapo...singles at 65E's. See link.
Granddaughter stayed there two years ago at our suggestion.
Stu T.

http://www.townhousehotels.co.uk/hotels/greenside.html
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:44 PM

If you don't mind a Spartan dorm room but clean and with a private bath, I'd recommend Edinbugh First at the U. of Edinburgh (http://www.hotel-rates.com/gb/edinbu...niversity.html). I stayed there in 2003 for a conference and it was a lot like the dorm rooms at Ohio University in the 1960s (only they certainly didn't have private bath). It looks like it was built sometime between the 1960s and the 1980s. I had a great view of Arthur's Seat, and it's one mile to the center of the city. Singles are about $75 rather than £75, so it's a bargain. An even better bargain is the full Scottish breakfast, which is gargantuan.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Again, it has been a couple of years, but we liked the Rothesay Hotel. Web site does not give prices but I do recall that it was not expensive. Very good restaurant on the premises, serving meals throughout the day. Great location, we walked everywhere.

http://www.rothesay-hotel.com/
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replys. I'll check them out. The Edinburgh First definitely looks interesting.

Anyone ever stayed at the Ibis in Edinburgh. At 79 pounds it's more than I like to spend but I guess for mid July in a central location it might be worth it. But I'm still open to any other suggestions.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:59 PM

ttt
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 02:25 AM

Isabel

My cheap and cheerfuls are the Holiday Inn Express at the top of Leith Walk (Picardy Place) or the Travel Inn Express in Morrison Link.

The Grassmarket Hotel used to be a Premier Inn and is probably OK too. It's got the best location out of them, I think.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sheila - I had been considering the Grassmarket. At £60 it's a little less than the Ibis (which is £79). Since you recommend it I may try that. Holdiay Inn Express was over £100 and I couldn't find the Travel Inn Express (googling it keeps bring up Holiday Inn Express, I found Travel Inn on some site the other day but it was more expensive - do you know if they are two seperate hotels?).

Anyway, I would like to stay central since I'll be alone on this trip and when I travel alone I don't like long walks at night back to hotels. That's why I'm not considering the Edinburgh First at the Uiversity. I guess I'm just frustrated by the high prices in Edinburgh. The first half of my trip will be in Spain and I'm finidng tons of places I'd happily consider for under €75 there. I know the UK is expensive, but after several trips to London staying in hotels I hated I did find one I liked, I was just hoping to find one I like and could afford on my first trip to Edinburgh.

So given the locations and prices, do you think the Ibis is worth the extra money to be right on the Royal Mile? Hard to tell from a map if the Grassmarket is really only a couple of blocks.

Shiela, I know you frequently answer Scotland questions - so do you have any great tips for Edinburgh? My main interests are just the buildings, parks, and streets of the city (versus guidebook "sites" and museums). I'll be there in mid July.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 03:49 AM

Isabel, the Travel inn seems to have changed its name

http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/...?hotelId=23934

Please note I've not stayed at the Grassmarket, and my reccomendation is for location. It's just spitting distance from the Mile. I know nothing about the Ibis, but I'd guess, based on my experience of Ibises (Ibii??) in France that it'll be more down market than the Travel inn or Holidat Inn Express.

I have stayed in the Travel Inn and it's fine- can be hot in summer- there's no air con.

If you email me, I'll send you a doc on Edinburgh for free. Please look at Murphy's report from Christmas just past. Lots of tips on places to walk about.

There's another thread going on about street walks to (I would say streetwalking but I might be misunderstood).

I think pretty much everything I know about Edinburgh is here already
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 06:26 AM

The Travelodge in St Mary's Str is quoting GBP26 for a room in mid July. We stayed there a couple of years ago, very good location and clean.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:08 AM

http://www.royal-mile-hotels.com/edi...php?3605780204.

Stayed here. Lovely on the oustide, acceptable inside. Did not hear any noise from the adjoining pub. Great location near castle.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Shelia, I'll email you. The Grassmarket looks pretty good and it's a bit less than the Ibis, I think they must have single rooms. The Ibis is quite cheap for a double, but they don't have single rates. The Grassmarket is also on the site that stumblebum gave, I'll check it out futher.