Inexpensive Accomodations in Rome

Old Aug 30th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inexpensive Accomodations in Rome

I'll be ending a two week organized tour of Central and South Italy with an added week on my own--Sept-Oct. trip, shortly. I'll be coming from Puglia and am in need of an inexpensive B&B in Rome, ( can't afford hotels), but up from hostels. The B&B website was so large I barely began although I observed that $50 ish / night is possible. Maybe it's my older brain ( senior), but I believe I'll do better with some personal touch from travellers themselves. I'd like to stay in city center where I can do more in my two days three nights there. I had been to Rome once many years ago seeing what travellers usually see ( museums, duomos, ruins). This time it's kind of a relaxed overview.

All suggestions appreciated
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 12:20 PM

What is the B&B web site? Perhaps someone can help you narrow your search.

You can also try convents but $50 per night is going to be tough in the center of Rome.

B&Bs are not always cheaper than hotels so I would not limit yourself to only B&Bs.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 12:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
you might look at hostels too.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 03:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
50 dollars and not euros? $50 is only 38 EUR.

If you could handle 50 EUR and don't mind using a shared bathroom, try the Beehive... although you may be too late.

http://www.the-beehive.com/rooms-and...p#!prettyPhoto

See also the link at the bottom of the webpage to Cross-Pollinate.com.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 03:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
In the center, it will be hard to find something for 38€. Since it seems to be Oct., you don't need AC. What amenities do you need?

Fraterna Domus, a convent that is centrally located, runs about 50€ per night with private bath. They book up early, but you might try e-mailing them if you can swing 50€. They used to have an 11pm curfew so you would need to check.

[email protected]

http://www.fraternadomus.it/FD%20Roma%20ingl.html

Santa Sofia is a few minutes walk from the Roman Forum and about 2 minute walk to the subway (one stop from Termini). You can probably get a room there with private bath for about 50€ also.

http://www.casasantasofia.it/index.php/en/

I prefer the locations of both these convents over the Beehive.

You might try this women's only hostel/foresteria. It's well located.

http://www.foresteriaorsa.altervista...esteria_uk.htm

There are cheaper convents in central Rome, but most share baths.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 09:44 PM

Many hostels provide private rooms, so don't reject them out-of-hand. A good resource for finding hostels is HostelWorld.com. My adult children have used that site to find and book private rooms in many hostels (including Rome) and said the user reviews were quite accurate.
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your sugestions. I'll check all these websites. My last travels in Italy, I stayed at hostels--1987, before the web and luggage with wheels, and the way to go was TI, shared bath---fine then.

I'd like to edit ( where?) the $50. You caught it Jean. It should have been 50 euro which I can manage. I'll be coming from a two week tour with a senior travel company, followed by a week on my own in southern Italy (,where I'm also in need of help , but have sent out another thread for that), before arriving in Rome. So I need to prioritize my expenses.

Amenities? clean, private bath and if located on an upper floor, an elevator in the bldg.

Adrienne asked about the website I'd used. I had begun the search by looking up hotels and at a few $100/ night got off that idea fairly quickly.There was somewhere in the search, an inn with a phone number. I called and was told to simply google B&Bs in Rome. The list went on forever, but I noticed there were half dozen districts where most of them were located. ie Termini, Vaticano Prati etc and frankly didn't know where to start not knowing these districts. The forum approach feels much better.

Yes,Adrienne,B&Bs I've learned, aren't necessarily the same concept as in the US--some are magnificent inns, renovated palaces.

You've all steered me in the right direction.So, off to do research.

Any restaurants/ tratorias or similar you'd recommend?
I've been picking up special areas---Piazza Navona and Campo de Fliori , but haven't gotten to the point of sights yet.
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 08:19 PM

Be sure to check out HostelWorld.com. for B&Bs too. There are over 500 listed for Rome.
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 08:49 PM

www.monastrystays.com

You don't need to be catholic, a basic breakfast is provided. We stayed in one and loved it. Spotlessly clean.
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 03:47 AM

Here is a list of convents recommended by Santa Susanna church:

http://www.santasusanna.org/comingTo...html#R-vatican

You should also check the Let's Go guide book for inexpensive lodgings. Every place I've stayed that this book has recommended has been very clean but not fancy. Here's a list from their web site.

http://letsgo.com/europe/italy/rome/accommodations
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 06:16 AM

http://www.the-beehive.com/ we had the room with a shared bath but never saw anyone. It is clean, nice people, and close to the train.
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Your help is reassuring. I had expected to be in Rome for 3 nights coming from the south. Finding myself spending too much time in slow travel/train changes, with affordable accomodations in Rome, I'll be spending 8 nights in Rome with opportunity to see Rome more casually and take day trips nearby.
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 05:33 PM

Good idea. We did a lovely day trip to Ostia Antica, using Rick Steve's audio guide on our iPad. I thought it was more impressive than Pompeii because so much more is intact (well, sure, no volcano to obliterate it!)
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 05:50 PM

Orvieto is a great day trip from Rome. Very easy to arrive by train. Lovely town.
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 07:15 PM

We really enjoyed Hotel Giuliana http://www.hotelgiuliana.com near the Termini Station. It was under $100 a night and adorable. Fantastic service, family owned - just a really nice experience. I know that's a little outside your price point, but I really did have a great time with the staff there.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I've spent a lot of time on these websites and settled on Monasterystays.com. The convents are every price range and if you want to stay a bit more outside, than center, while the rooms are simple, the gardens are spectacular. It was a hard decision, but I decided to stay closer to the city ; so much to see.They use Pay Pal and I had trouble using the sight, but they offer help.

I've mostly had contact with Cross-Pollinate. They have been most cooperative seaching for my price range and area of Rome. I highly recommend them and will book with them this week prior to leaving on my scheduled tour.
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 10:03 AM

Just to warn you, pick out a convent or monastery on monasterystays.com, but google the convent and make an arrangement directly with the convent. Monasterystays.com adds on 10 or15 euros per day to the cost of the room.

I have stayed in Fraterna Domus many times. You may do better to call them or get an Italian friend to call them since they get overwhelmed with so many emails that they may not have time to read them.
Do check Santa Susanna for a list of convents or monasteries in Rome.