Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Independent Winery tours in Chianti area??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2003, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, <BR> As a final preparation on my trip to Italy I would like to find out if anyone could suggest a nice area to tour that would include a winery that we could visit on our own. We are staying in Sienna and then heading to Florence for a couple of days. On the drive to Florence we would like to explore the Chiant area and hopefully a winery. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 10:34 AM

We used the Eyewitness Guide for Florence/Tuscany. The have a driving tour through the Chianti area which we did. The drive was wonderful, the countryside is just lovely and we passed many vineyards along the way. We also had the best lunch overlooking a vineyard. Unfortunately, it was Sunday and the wineries were closed. <BR><BR>We also stayed at a hotel in Siena and I believe they offered a private tour to a vineyard with a local. You may want to call ahead or write to your hotel in Siena to see if they offer anything similar.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

thanks,I will try contacting the hotel. I don't want to buy &quot;another&quot; travel book.Hopefully someone has a path they can lead us down. We only want to spend 3-4 jours driving and seeing a winery and soaking up the countryside..
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 11:58 AM

My experience was that very few wineries were open for casual tours. You really do have to contact them in advance. The only place where we went on a &quot;walk-in&quot; tour was Fattoria Barbi, which is outside of Montalcino. We drove part of the Chianti road from Greve, and did not see the kind of openwineries like Napa Valley, where you can just drive up, tour the vineyard and taste the wine. We did find several places where we could taste in the town of Montepulciano. <BR>That said, I heard from someone that Castello di Volpaia was a very cool little winery/town, and that they offer an interesting tour, but you still must call in advance. I never did manage to do this, if you do, let us know how it turns out!
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 12:18 PM

Hi Gary. We visited Badia a Coltibuono, northeast of Siena, last year. Although we didn't go on a tour -- since we were there in April -- their website says they have daily tours (guided however) during the summer months.<BR><BR>http://www.coltibuono.com/0visite.asp?pg=vis
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 12:49 PM

Gary, <BR><BR>I'll look at my book tonight and will give you the information on the driving tour, so you don't have to buy the book. <BR><BR>Carol
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 12:56 PM

Gary, I just saw your other post. The hotel we stayed in was Palazzo Ravizza. I'll look to see if I still have the information on the place they recommended and give it to you.<BR><BR>Such a small world....
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all..we are staying at the Pallazo Ravizza also...
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 04:13 PM

Hi Garynfla,<BR>We visited Veranzzano last Spring. Made the arrangements over the internet. It was an interesting tour. It seems there was a charge for the tasting and light refreshment or a more expensive lunch that was available.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Pawleys.. do you by chance have the internet site you made the reservations on? <BR>Happy Travels<BR> Gary
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 09:19 AM

Gary, I made a reservation for a tour called &quot;A Day in Chianti&quot; with a private driver that takes you to wineries, castles, and villages. The website is [email protected]. I am very excited about this tour (will be leaving for Italy in a few weeks). You might want to check them out. Have fun on your trip.<BR><BR>Jennifer
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Jennifer, thanks for the travel tip. I leave May 15 and can hardly wait. I hope you have a wondefful holiday.<BR>Happy Travels<BR> Gary
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 10:50 AM

Have the info for you. The tour that the Palazzo Ravizza recommended is &quot;Rooster Tours. They pick you up at the hotel and are guided by a local &quot;Chiantigiano&quot; who takes small groups into the heart of Chianti. Phone: 0337/706958, fax: 0577/40775. The man who runs the tours is Dario Castagno.<BR><BR>The self-drive tour I mentioned is of the main villages of the Chianti Classico wine region. The route is easy to follow. It begins in Siena and goes through the villages of Castellina Radda, Gaiole, Meleto, Castello di Brolio. <BR><BR>I will gladly fax or mail you a copy of the map which is very easy to read. Let me know if you are interested at [email protected].<BR><BR>Carol
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 11:02 AM

Our experience, too, is that you usually can't just drop in on a winery (as you can, for example, in the Napa Valley). However, in many towns, including the Chianti villages, are enotecas. They are a sort of combination wine bar/store, where you can sample wines by the glass, usually from several producers, and buy bottles if you'd like. <BR><BR>Sometimes Tourist Information offices in towns can point you to wineyards to tour. We did this from Orvieto (not in Chianti), and specified that we needed an English-speaking guide at the vineyard. When we showed up, he didn't really speak English, but we got by with my minimal Italian &amp; lots of gestures - it was still a nice tour. We definitely felt obligated to buy a couple of bottles, in return for the man's time.<BR><BR>In terms of driving tours, if you drive along S222, you'll pass through many (all? I'm not looking at a map) of the Chianti villages of Castellina, Radda, Gaiole, etc.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Excellent info. Thanks to both for the tips.. Now how I can I make time speed up? I am so ready to go..
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 01:20 PM
rex

Sounds like you have a lot of good ideas, but there are several websites and other info on this thread, worth your while to check out - - <BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2&amp;tid=1297567<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR><BR>
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Rex, you are awesome. How do keep so much info on Italy. The sites you gave were incredible and packed with just the right info. Wouldn't it be easier if you just came with us..LOL Thanks<BR>Gary
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Lorac1127, I just wanted to say Thank you very much for taking the time to fax all the travel info to my office. It was perfect for what we are looking for and we promise to find a great wine and drink a toast to you along the way.<BR>It is so refreshing these days to find as many people willing to help fellow travels as one would fing on these boards. Way to go fodortites!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

oooppss.. that would be find not fing and fodorites not fodortites...LOL