Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Incisive single-malt Scotch tour possible in a week?

Incisive single-malt Scotch tour possible in a week?

Nov 19th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Incisive single-malt Scotch tour possible in a week?

My husband wants to hit Speyside and Islay in the space of about 7 nights, but the kicker is, we'd be without a car. It appears we can fly r/t direct to Glasgow from NYC. Can anyone help? We are thinking of an overnight in Glasgow, train to Elgin (5 hours), two nights in Speyside with a hired driver to visit some distilleries, back to Glasgow, connect to bus/ferry (or short flight) to Islay, 3 nights on Islay, final night in Glasgow. Is this doable or insane? We could add at least one night to make things a bit easier.
Nov 19th, 2010, 08:42 PM

With all that travelling in such a short time, and all that Scotch, do you plan to remember your trip?
Nov 20th, 2010, 12:11 AM

You could do it -- but you'd definitely have to fly to Islay and back. Public transport over to Islay would eat up too much of your limited time.

Instead of Elgin -- you could take the train to Carrbridge or Aviemore. A bit shorter train ride and you'd arrive nearer to Grantown-on-Spey
Nov 28th, 2010, 05:29 AM

That would be fun.Me, I'd do the Islay bit first, especially if you can get your flight times to gel. Have you any idea what time you arrive at Glasgow airport? There's an 8am-ish flight and a 5pm-ish flight daily- two days a week there's one at lunchtime too.

You can get to all the Islay distilleries and isle of Jura by public transport (actually, I don't think you can get to Kilchoman)

I may be wrong about this, but I think you'll have more chance of getting a driverf rom Elgin than Aviemore.

Here's onebr />
http://www.aboutspeyside.com/index.php

Here's another

http://www.catswhiskerstours.co.uk/t...inst=4&id=3184

and there are a bunch of good links herebr />
http://www.scotland-inverness.co.uk/whisky.htm
Dec 7th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies.

Sheila, special thanks for the links. I will consider your recommendation to do the Islay bit first. I am very glad to learn that this entire idea isn't completely mad.

Merry Christmas and the happiest of holidays!

Search this Thread