Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

In Sorrento: Palazzo Starace or Hotel Il Nido?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am trying to make a decision as to which one. The prices are comparable. Palazzo Starace is centrally located in town whereas Il Nido is a shuttle ride away (which does run quite often on a schedule). Have you stayed at either one? We will be there for four nights in September. Thanks for your input. Happy Travels.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 12:00 PM

Il Nido seemed highly recommended on here and slowtravel, i think. Good for families. Of course, they were all booked up for my dates in June.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 01:23 PM

We stayed in Il Nido this past July and loved it. Dinner on the terrace overlooking the Bay of Naples is really nice. The fact that it was not in town was not a problem for us because we spent our days on the go. The shuttle is convenient and they even made an unscheduled run for us on the day of our departure because we had to catch an early bus to Naples.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 05:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
We stayed at Il Nido last June and it is about a 10 minute shuttle ride from town. The shuttles run in the mornings and afternoon/evenings. The Sita busses also pass the hotel if you want to travel at other times. Unfortunately, Il Nido's webcam isn't working right now but you can still check out the views and menus (great food and prices) on their website www.ilnido.it Gianni and staff are very accomodating as you will be able to tell if you look at the customer comments on the website.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two years ago we stayed at the Palazzo Starace for 6 nights. It was very centrally located, we had a large, bright room with a small balcony overlooking the main street. It was not noisy at all at night as you can close the glass doors and also the shutters. The room was kept very clean, the only issue we had was the poor water pressure in the shower. Breakfast was included, croissants and coffee/tea at a bar (cafe) across the road. There are about 3 flights of stairs up to the floor in the apartment block where Palazzo Starace is, and a 'box' on a winch for luggage. We only saw the owner briefly twice, she didn't speak English and our Italian was very basic. I think from memory we had to pay cash when we left. We liked the location and the price and would stay there again.
Kay
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:02 AM

I am staying at the Il Nido as I write this. It is an excellent hotel. The owners are extremely helpful and have made us feel very comfortable. The shuttle ride is easy, about 10 minutes from town and worth it for the view and excellent accomodations. The food is fine, affordable and breakfast is included. When my inlaws arrived at 12:30 a.m. after a nightmare 36 hours of travel from the states the owner welcomed them with open arms, personally prepared a healthy snack for them and made them very happy to be here. HOSPITALITY!!!!!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:30 AM

I stayed at P. Starace in 2002 and really enjoyed it. It was very clean, bright, and spacious. I had a room at the back overlooking the alley, but it was very quiet. It overlooked rooftops to the hills behind where I could watch the sun come up every morning. The price is great. The main concern for me was being very close to everything and I was able to pop back to the room during the day. The only drawback is maybe climbing the stairs. The luggage contraption broke, but the girl who takes care of the rooms, carried my bag down for me. I needed to find a phone number for the hotel in Naples where I was going after there and the owner very kindly invited me to her apt. where she looked up the number for me. I will absolutely stay here again when I return, unless I win the lottery and then I will stay at one of the 4-5* places!! ha