in Rome on May 1

Old Apr 9th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in Rome on May 1

As I'm planning a trip to Rome for my husband and myself for 5 days in the last week April, first week May I realize that May 1 is a holiday. Should we anticipate major sites being open or closed? Will all museums be closed? Since we arrive on a Sunday, it seems museums will be closed Monday and now Tuesday, too. Does anyone have any experience with May Day in Rome? Is there anything special that happens that we should plan to do?
Thanks, I appreciate any suggestions!
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 01:00 PM

You need to look these up online yourself. The "major sights" of Rome easily are a dozen or more places, and they include some places operated by the church and others by the state.

There was actually some talk of making May 1 a day when many museums would charge only 1e for admission -- but which ones? You have to go to the websites for the ones you are interested in.

Also be aware that some museums require reservations at any time.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 02:38 PM

Wish I could be helpful but I'm an American who knows NOTHING about the May 1 holiday in Italy---except that I will arrive there that weekend myself, so have been asking the same kinds of questions. There's a discussion about this on a thread titled: "What to do on April 30 (Mon) and May 1 (Tues)", dated April 1. It's about 7 pages back among older Topics tagged Italy. Some of the responses gave valuable sites to check out museum schedules, etc. I found useful information and hope you do to.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the tip, I found the post and will need to do some research about what's open so I can plan the week!
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 05:52 AM

you find your answers on www.ticketeria.it But as suspected galleria Borghese is closed both on monday and tuesday that week.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 05:56 AM

Oh, I forgot. I was in rome last year on the 1st May. There was a demonstration. We met it when passing Colosseum and some other place again later. You can easily pass it. No problem. So just plan your museums other days. And spend those 2 days in the centre of Rome with all the piazzas. Pantheon etc. Lots and lots to do.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 09:06 AM

May 1 is labor day. Unfamiliar to americans, since our labor movement is almost totally moribund. It is a day on which the workers (the backbone of every country and every economy - although uber rich corporate giants would have you believe otherwise)get a holiday and a chance to celebrate.

You need to check with each place to find out which are open - and when.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 01:25 AM

Maybe better not to get into discussions of diffencies between americans and europeans
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 02:27 AM

Many sites are open yet the bus, tram, metro and trains will operate on a holiday schedule. Actually, in the mid-morning it feels like LESS public transportation is available even when compared to a holiday schedule. So be prepared to walk. Even a taxi can be harder to find. One year, living in Rome on May 1, we walked from the Cassia into town and NEVER saw a bus.

There's the annual May 1 concert (Not sure I'd recommend that unless you're younger. We've been and we were by far the oldest people in the audience). You might check out this link for some 1E site options, a few links, and concert information. Good Luck:

http://tinyurl.com/Rome-may1