Culture Week - Rome Apr 18-26?

Mar 13th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Culture Week - Rome Apr 18-26?

I just found something on the web saying that the week of April 18-26th is Culture Week in Rome and all municipal and state museums are free. Has anyone ever been in Rome for the event? Does this mean there are no lines at the Colosseum? Is it a crazy free-for-all at the gates? What about the museums? I am taking a scheduled tour so I guess we only will have to pay for the tour guide but do they just walk in? I know April 25 is Liberation Day and we will just enjoy the events in the city. I'm thinking "4th of July" with wine and pizza instead of hot dogs and beer!
Mar 29th, 2009, 08:31 AM

I'd like to confirm this too. I'll be in Rome April 23-25 pre cruise and not having to buy a Roma Pass will help save the euros.
Mar 29th, 2009, 09:01 AM

I'll be in Rome during this time, too. Where did you read this?
Mar 29th, 2009, 09:28 AM

Don't expect a lot of free entries to Roman museums during the cultural week. Only some of the municipal museums and sights are taking part, chiefly the Capitoline Museum. None of the biggies, like the Colosseum, Forums, Borghese Gallery or Vatican Museums are taking part.
Mar 29th, 2009, 08:20 PM

Alec:
You contradict what is said about Culture Week on TA. Posters there say all the big museums will be free. How do you know what museums are taking part?

Does anyone have the definitive answer? Maybe someone who lives in Rome and can read italien and tell us what the local web sites say. I leave for Rome in 3 weeks and want to buy a Roma Pass if I'm not going to get free admissions for Culture Week.

This is from the Roma Pass web site:

"From April 18th to 26th, 2009: ''Settimana della Cultura'' (Culture Week), a promotional initiative of the cultural heritage by MIBAC, offering various events and free entrance to all museums owned by the state and the municipality"
Mar 29th, 2009, 08:49 PM

When I was there in September they were essentially doing the same thing and the Colosseum and other museums were free so yes, they will be free. The Vatican is not part of Rome, is not a state owned museum, so of course, it's not included. There will still be lines because of security checks and I'm sure the Borghese will still require a reserved time.
http://en.turismoroma.it/oggi_a_roma..._della_cultura
Mar 29th, 2009, 10:58 PM

I'm wondering how to reserve a time at the Galleria Borghese without paying the fee with the reservation.
Mar 30th, 2009, 01:30 AM

A lot of places and most significant sights and museums are church-owned or privately-owned, so won't be part of the Culture Week promotions. They include the Vatican Museums, all the churches (most are free to enter, but you may have to pay to see certain parts, climb the tower or see attached museum), Lateran Palace, catacombs. For Borghese Gallery, while the admission fee is waived, you still have to make a prior reservation for a specific time slot, by phone. Because of this, you may find it difficult to book. Yes, there will be more visitors at 'free' sites, esp Italian visitors.
Mar 31st, 2009, 10:16 AM

I went to the tourist office in Rome today and they told me the colosseum is free - so I am not sure where Alec got his information. Correct private museums are not free.

There is a website but there is a lot of info as this week is not just in Rome but in other parts of Italy as well. Here is the site. www.beniculturali.it

You can also call from us 011 30 (0060608) and ask them what is free. They speak english and should know. I emphasize should.

I am hoping to visit lots of sites free too. We will see.
Mar 31st, 2009, 06:31 PM

Alec's information doesn't really apply since he keeps talking about Vatican sites and churches and everyone else is discussing state owned sites.
Apr 7th, 2009, 02:02 AM

I just reserved a ticket for the Galleria Borghese during Culture Week online via the Borghese's website. The cost was 3 euro that I'm assuming is to the ticket company as a convenience fee. At least I feel good about having a reservation. Since they didn't charge a price for admission, I'm assuming the Galleria is open for free. We will also be visiting the Colosseum and Pompeii and hope they are free also.
Jan 25th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Several Italian blogs suggest that your dates are accurate, though I can't find anything about it on official websites.

I happened to be in Rome during last year's culture week (yay, big savings!), and the lines weren't nearly as bad as I thought they would be. However, to avoid the big crowds you should generally stay out of the tourist zones between 11 AM and roughly 4 PM. It seems like all the big tour groups wake up late and go to bed early.

Nearly everything I visited was free ('cept the tomb of the Cappuchin friars and Borghese Galleries), and the lines were short because nobody had to bother checking tickets!

If you want a guided tour but don't want to be tied down to a tour group, there are plenty of enterprising and knowledgeable guides who just hang out at the major sites and offer tours. Memorize a few trivia questions that you know the answer to and quiz them beforehand just to make sure they're not scamming you.
Jan 25th, 2010, 01:41 PM

FYI - The OP was posting about 2009 dates, not 2010.
Jan 27th, 2010, 01:47 PM

this is more of my daughter's opinion (since she is studying in Rome at the moment): you can't know these things for sure! none of the important dates concerning cultural events cannot be known in advance. She studies art so she keeps up with all this info, but it seems that there are still do definite dates for the 2010 culture week in Rome. Sorry, I'll be back if I have "Roman" news
Apr 12th, 2010, 02:45 AM

I found here what is open during this week http://www.iloverome.net/week-of-cul...of-april-2010/
Apr 8th, 2011, 01:56 AM

i am in rome and the following sites are free for culture week 2011, april 9-17: colesseum, forum, borghese gallery (reservation needed), guilia (etruscan art) museum, museum of modern art, ARA, Castel sant'angelo, palazzo venezia. there are surely more but these i am sure of.
Apr 8th, 2011, 05:06 AM

All of the state museums (not just Rome). It should be the ones listed here in Rome.
http://www.romapass.it/doc/sitiAdere...lietti_eng.pdf

Has anyone heard when Heritage Weekend will be?
Apr 8th, 2011, 05:10 AM

There are two exceptions. The Capitoline has an exhibition so you must pay the exhibition fee for entrance (3.50€). Also the Planetarium and Museo Astronomico (€ 7,50).
Apr 9th, 2011, 09:35 AM

You have the date wrong for 2011--it is April 9-17. We miss is this year, but last year all municipal and state museums and archeological sites had free entry during that week. Includes Pompeii, Herculaneum, Paestum, etc. Crowds were not very large at the archeological sites. Paestum, even on free Sunday, was practically empty and the highlight of our trip. Don't miss the museum there.
Apr 9th, 2011, 01:23 PM

>>>You have the date wrong for 2011--it is April 9-17.<<<<

Actually, the dates posted are correct. Any dates listed before pammieroma's post are for previous years (note this thread started in 2009).

>>>pammieroma on Apr 8, 11 at 5:56am
i am in rome and the following sites are free for culture week 2011, april 9-17:<<