Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

In London this Summer/Fall? Ian McKellen in Lear!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2018, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts

If anyone is traveling to London from Mid July through early November, Ian McKellen is in King Lear at the Duke of York's

Early dates sold out but decent/semi-limited availability if your dates are flexible.

King Lear - Official London tickets - ATG Tickets (This is the official Ambassador's Theatre Group / Duke of York's booking site)
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got Our Tickets!

4 weeks to go until we visit London and Northumberland! We have tickets to see King Lear, the King and I and the new Alan Bennett play. I wasn't sure if we wanted to see King Lear and then I imagined myself on a tube escalator seeing the poster and kicking myself for not seeing it. I got great seats and can't wait. I'm glad you mentioned it janisj. I debated paying 700 dollars for my husband and I to see the Harry Potter play. I would love it, but I don't think my husband would enjoy it that much. Here's hoping the weather isn't boiling like last June when we visited. I was standing in the Charles Dickens museum ready to break a window to get some air. Wouldn't of course, but it was miserable. Theaters were fine though and we had a fantastic time!
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 01:21 AM

We got King Lear tickets for our trip in October. Can't wait to see him in this production! We also got tickets to Hamilton.Our entire vacation will be about the same price as tickets to see it in L.A.
We also got tickets for an FM Live performance at Albert Hall, it's a symphony premiere in memorium to the 100th anniversary of the end of WW1. Sounds loud and fun.
We considered the Globe but decided it might end up being a miserable evening if it's cold and/or raining, and the bench seats look really uncomfortable. Will console ourselves with a visit and tour of the theater instead.
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 03:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I only left London about 48 hours ago. I probably can't justify going back so soon.
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 03:13 PM

Wow! Thank you for the heads up!
We'll be in London over the bank holiday weekend in August, so this is a possibility. However, Arsenal is also in town that weekend, so we can't book anything until their exact game schedule is set. Attending a game is probably the #1 thing on my husband's bucket list.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 06:22 AM

I would love the hear about plays you didn't see but heard that they are good. I leave for London on July 9th for 5 nights.