In France Alone: Need Advice Please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm traveling to Paris alone at end of July, but will be meeting my boyfriend's family after a week. I'd appreciate any advice/help on what to do in Paris, since I'll be by myself; of course it helps that I'm very social and friendly, right?
Please let me know what you think of the following itinerary, and keep in mind that after my first week I will be staying in a little village for the 2nd week in france, doing NOTHING... So, I should get any sightseeing out of my system, since it sounds like his family just wants to "rest".
Also, if it helps, I'm 24, live in California, but am originally from Mexico... I speak Spanish like a native (oh, and I'm cute ;-)

Saturday: arrive Paris in morning
Sunday: day trip to versailles?
Monday: Paris L'Open hop on hop off tour and other tourist stuff
Tuesday: train to Normandy (Mont St. Michel)
Wednesday: train to Dijon
Thursday: explore wine country in Dijon
Friday: return to paris
Saturday: meet family at BVA
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:28 PM

The Sunday day trip to Versailles sounds like a good idea. I might want to wait to get over jet lag for a day or so before walking all over Versailles, but you're young!

The Monday Paris L'Open hop on hop off tour and other tourist stuff is another great idea. The trouble with it is that you will see a million things you want to do for the rest of the week and you have scheduled yourself out of town. I would be strongly tempted to suggest you stay in Paris for most of the week and enjoy the things there.

The Tuesday train to Normandy (Mont St. Michel) sounds interesting, but it's a long trip and wouldn't give you much time in Normandy. Why not save this for another trip to France? It's always nice to have an excuse to go back! You might also plan a trip for just the two of you during the 2nd week to give you a bit of time off by yourselves.

The Wednesday train to Dijon gets a resounding "don't do it" from me. Unless you plan a tour with some group or you plan to rent a car, you won't see much of the wine country. I'm saying this and I love Dijon and the wine country. This is one I would definitely save for a separate trip. You want to have time to savor the trip and several days to do it justice. An overnighter will be hurried. Burgundy is lovely shared too!

There is so much to do in Paris that you might be better off just staying there and enjoying the moment. The Versailles trip is an easy one. Chartes is another easy day trip if you want to get out of town.

Just suggestions. I'm sure you'll get more here.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip. I, personally, would prefer the 2nd week. It's more my style!

Old May 26th, 2004, 03:36 PM

Don't leave Paris (except for the day trip to Versailles). With such a short time you don't want to waste any of it traveling when there is so much to do in Paris. Hit the St. Germaine, Marais, and Latin Quarter areas of Paris and soak it all up!
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:47 PM

If you're going to be spending a week in a little village, take some time to enjoy Paris! I'm not sure, given your proposed plans, why you are even going to Paris.

Sunday at Versailles isn't a bad idea - the fountains are on on Sundays, and that's worth the train ride out there - IF the weather is nice.

As far as I know, the only way to get to le Mont St-Michel on the train is through a connection in Rennes or by taking a train to Pontorson and then a bus. I seriously doubt you can do this in a single day.

Then you're off to Dijon? So your only day in Paris is going to be the hop-on, hop-off day? I'm not at all sure I *get* this.

BTW, if you're "very social and friendly," that's fine. Just be aware that the French, and particularly Parisians, don't place a lot of stock in what they perceive as the over-friendly, always smiling attitudes of Americans. They'd rather you just be polite and respectful and save the grins and chummy behavior until you know them better.
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:56 PM

We went to Paris for the first time in 2002. Like you, we had originally planned on doing many things outside the city. Our thinking was what could we possibly do that would keep our attention for a whole week in a single city. We were way off. Paris can certainly retain your attention for a week or 2. Do the Versailles daytrip but stay the remainder in Paris. We are going back June 16 and again plan to spend most, if not all of our time in Paris. It has lots to offer.
Old May 26th, 2004, 04:48 PM

When I posted a similar question for my 2 week stay in Paris on my own, a few trips out out town were recommended to break things up a bit. I took an overnight trip to Giverny and one to Brussels. But I had to scramble to try to visit places I had encountered on my first week and wanted to explore some more!

I agree with the consensus here- take a day-trip to Versailles, if you like, but there is more than enough to do in Paris for one week. Enjoy!

Old May 26th, 2004, 04:51 PM

Ooh, and StCirq is definitely right about the smiling. I had a wonderful time with many enthusiastic conversations, so just follow their lead. If you're friendly, like me, tone it down a little on the smile wattage, polite but a little more formal.
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
You can smile if it's genuine and called for but not because you think you are cute
There is so much to see in Paris. One never sees it all.You can spend two days in the various things in the Bois alone.
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:15 PM

Hi - I agree with everyone that you should just stay in Paris - it's too marvelous; just walking around is simply so wonderful. When it comes to smiling, in the past I may have agreed everyone that mere politeness would be enough but I've found on my last two trips that men are more responsive to smiling women than they used to be. Women, however, remain cold. And I'm not particularly cute anymore, so it wasn't that. I've just felt a different response my last two trips. It may be that most people I'm talking to are now my age (aauuuggghhhhh!) Have fun in France and remember to be very agreeable and cooperative with your boyfriend's family, especially if you hope him to be more than boyfriend in the future.
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:25 AM
ira

Hi la,

One more vote for staying in Paris for the week.
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:38 AM

And, in case you aren't convinced, another strong vote for spending the week in Paris. On our 6th trip last May (7 days) we set aside one day for an out of town trip. We didn't go because there were so many things we wanted to do in Paris. In September we will be in Paris 8 days and hope to visit Chartres. But the other 7 days will be spent in Paris.
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:55 AM

Paris is awesome.
Go to Saint Chapelle and see the stained glass windows then walk around St. Honore where all the designer shops are. Check out Bon Marche the big french department store - I forget where it is. Go up in the Eiffel Tower and find the Rue Cler the perfect food shopping street it is near the Eiffel Tower. Take a boat ride down the Seine. Bateaux Mouches leaves close to the Eiffel Tower. For meals sit down at most any cafe. Very acceptable to sit alone and people watch. Stop in at every bakery you see and get anything it is all out of this world. Don't miss the Musee d'Orsay or the Louvre even if you are not an art buff you will love them. Get Rick Steve's book on Paris. It will give you great ideas on how to spend your time. Have Fun
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:34 AM

and leave yourself lots and lots of time to sit at a table in an outdoor cafe behind great sunglasses and watch people... act blase...
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:48 AM

Silly question but I never did this (not enough time) so just want to know: What's the etiquette of just sitting at a cafe outdoors & people watching? Does one choose to sit at any table or do you need to wait to be seated?
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:00 AM
ira

hi franc,

You may sit at any available table.

You must order something.

Leave a small tip.
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:05 AM
ed

Another vote for staying in Paris - except for the Sunday Versailles trip.

We have been to Paris at least 12 times and still find ourselves begrudging the time spent out of town - even though we go - Loire, Girvney Normandy Oh well! you get the idea.

Since you are getting to Paris on Saturday. getting the Carte Orange on Monday for unlimited travel on the Metro for the rest of the week would be worth looking into.

Have a ball!! :-B
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:13 AM

Hi,

Another 'oui' to staying in Paris for the week. You will easily fill your time. Each morning, over a café creme and pain au chocolat at the local café, pick a nighbourhood and sight to visit. One day could be Notre Dame, St Chappelle and Ile St Louis. While you walk around/take a tour (like Paris Walks), check out the restaurants for that night. Next day, Opera, Vendome, Champs Elysee,etc...Next day, Eiffel Tower, Invalides, Trocadero, Rodin, next day....etc..

As a note about outdoors at a café, what I do when I arrive is I don't sit until I make eye contact with the waiter, say bonjour, and he then either tells me where to sit or signals to sit anywhere. I noticed that this is what locals seemed to do, so that's what I do. It also seems to bring the waiter over quicker to take my order. The one time I did not do this, I sat and sat and...

Enjoy Paris, take time to do nothing...and you will love the place. I know my temptation was to try and see everything, but by slowing down I appreciated and enjoyed what I did see and do much more. If you MUST do a day trip, perhaps Reims to see the cathedral and the champagne cellars?

Hope this helps
Mike
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:51 AM

I agree with Michael on how to get seated...its just good manners to do so!
REmember, Parisian waiters and maitre 'ds are professional, a lot of the time. And, good manners are important to the enjoyment of Paris (IMHO)

Aaaah, what I wouldn't give to be on a terrace right now with a bowl of cafe crene.. later in the day a verre du vin..blanc probably