Recommended side trips from Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We' be flying in to Paris on June 26 for 10-12 days...after 3 days in Paris, what are other areas/itineraries that might be of interest?? 3 teenagers- renting a car.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 04:37 PM

After three days in Paris you will probably still wish to see more of Paris. Mabye after a week you may want to visit Versailles, the Loire Valley, Giverny, Fontainebleau... If you can read about these places and others that may interest you to get an idea, do so and then you can return and ask more.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 04:55 PM

Head out to the Normandy Coast; something for everybody, including the best apple pastries in the world!

Great opportunity not to miss a visit to the D-Day beaches, fascinating Mt. St. Michel, gorgeous villages.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 05:45 PM

If you're planning on staying in Paris for most of the time, I would suggest Rouen as a day trip (45 minute train ride). Has many interesting museums, cathedrals, walks. It was my favorite day trip.

Defintely Versailles and expect to spend the whole day to see it all. A half day trip is useless.

Another could be Chartres with it's great cathedral. Again, a short train ride.

Even going to the WWII Normandy sites can be done by train with an overnight and you could book a tour while there or prior to.

Unless you just want to drive around the countryside I don't see the need for a car for such a short trip. However, maybe going to Rouen by car and onto the WWII Normandy sites would work.

Three days in Paris is not very much unless you've already been there.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 05:52 PM

I'm confused about your plans. Are you saying you are spending 3 days in paris, and the remainder of your 10-12 day trip elsewhere in France.

If so, I think you should consider extending your time in Paris, despite rumors teenagers don't like it! You don't need a car to visit Versailles, but check ahead to make sure you are going on a day when fountains will be in full spritz.

After at least 6 days in Paris, I agree with the suggestion to drive to a coast, although I'd consult with the teenagers about whether or not they are genuinely interested in WWII sites. You can also consider a trip to Brugge -- without even renting a car. Likewise a trip to London.

Another possibility is the fast train to a city serviced by the TGV, and begin your car trip from there. What are you looking for in France?

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:12 PM

I agree with Rouen. It close and very quaint.

I would pass on the Normandy coast, only because you will spend a good 4 hours traveling back and forth.

Giverny is a great choice too. It is just beautiful and full of history. Don't expect to see a whole lot more than the house and gardens there though.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:40 PM

Oh -- sorry! Are you spending all your nights in Paris and lookign for day trips? If so, I withdraw my suggestion for the coast. But I also think you should postpone daytripping until day 6 or so.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

hi again- this was my husbands post, but...we are flying into Paris and will be there for 4 days. We know we want to spend the last few days in Brugge. We wanted to go to Strasbourg but just saw that the Tour de France starts there around that time. So, we are hoping to use everyones suggestions as to where else to go. My son would probably enjoy Normandie, but the girls do not want to go there. I know we should spend more days in Paris, but am not a city person and I'm sure we will be back again another time.
We thought we would need a car with 5 of us and luggage After Paris...to drive through Loire Valley, etc...Do you all really think we don't need one?? We are also have to get from Brugge to the CDG airport when we leave.
With the above places mentioned in the suggestions are there any others we should consider that would not be a city, quaint,etc....?? Thanks!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Normandy, I mean. I should check my spelling first!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:00 AM

Normandie is in France and you wrote it the French way, where is the problème? ;-)
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:59 AM

Funds should be provided so that all high school students would have the opportunity to visit Normandy. Sometimes parents need to make decisions on travel venues that may not always align with teenager desires.
A greater appreciation for those that sacrificed themselves for freedom is available in Normandy to teenagers. A perspective if you will, on their freedom to live the American way.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:13 PM

Just returned from 7 days in Paris and 2 days in Brugge. My teenaged daughters (18,16,14) all agreed that Brugge was the highlight of the the trip. They felt "Paris-ed out" after about 6 days" In Paris, there is a nice American style mall called "Italie2" at the Place D'Italie in the 13th eme, on Metro Line 4. Kids will like this. Also, for tennagers, the catacombs are an absolute must. Repeat, absolute must. A word of caution: you will be lost when you get out - learn how to ask "Where is the nearest Metro stop?" in French. You'll be glad you did.
Visited Versailles - liked it but would not suggest that it is a must. I'm going to post more trip report later
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

docdan...thank you. Our kids ages are so similar, so your post was helpful. Can you give me alittle more info on the catacombs? What area it is in, etc..? I'm sure I'll find it in my readings, but you could help too. Where did you stay in Brugge? I was there 20 years ago for my honeymoon and am very excited to show it to the kids. I think they will love it. Any other trip suggestions are appreciated! Thanks for the tip on Versailles. Thanks!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

docdan....did you rent a car?? train?
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:54 PM

If you are looking to go somewhere far outside Paris I would suggest Strausborg and thr Alsace wine road. It such a pretty part of the country with small village, homey bistros and friendly people.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

richardab...thank you. We were hoping to do Strasbourg and Alsace area, but are having trouble with finding hotel in Strasbourg because of the Tour de France starting there July 4th. We were planning on getting there @ june 29th, but may move the dates around alittle to see if we can get a reservation. So, do you think we should get a car?
Tahnks!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:41 PM

Off the wall suggestion but:

How about getting a fast train to Marseilles, renting a car there, and visiting the Cote d'Azur or Provence? June would be a nice time to do it. It sounds like the girls and your son have different ideas of what is fun, but maybe you could find a compromise or a variety of towns -- some greatly historic, some just silly and fun, to keep everybody happy.

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 01:53 AM

I took your post as if looking for areas/itineraries for further exploring, I didn't read daytrips, hence the Normandy suggestion. On that note, your son wants to go to Normandy, but the girls won't, so you are all not going. I feel bad for your son, but I feel even worse for your daughters who would pass on on such opportunity to visit such an amazing area with such incredible diversity and history. Would it help your son's case that Deauville, home town of Coco Chanel is nearby? or that there will be a film festival going on at Deauville in June with all kinds of movie stars in the area? or that the area has some of the most beautiful beaches in France? or that the day markets in the villages has some of the best deals for French items you can find outside of Paris?
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Viagera2...thank you. No, we have not ruled out Normandy. I truly open to all suggestions. Your ppost does sound great. I have to find the ares you mentioned on my map/book. We are very late in planning this so, do you think we would have problems finding a hotel?? Would it be smart to have a car? And, no, we were not talking about day trips from Paris.
We are just deciding if we should travel west (Srausbough) or west (Normandy)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -